215. Billy's Letter to Anne

"I'm surprised they'll allow him in, after what happened the day he went to their house," Mrs. Andrews said. "They don't want to bring her over here instead?"

Jane shook her head. "They can't bring her...she won't get out of bed."

"I don't see why I have to apologize," Billy complained. "I didn't even do anything. She's making a big deal out of nothing."

"Yes, you did do something," his mother told him. "And having to make an apology is a small thing, if it means they'll agree to withdraw her so you can go back to school for good!"

"Father always said not to apologize to people because it means you've admitted guilt," Billy said.

Mrs. Andrews smoothed his collar down and handed him his cap. "Well, I don't care what he thinks about that. I care about you going back to school."

"I don't see why I can't just go to school anyway," Billy said. "What's stopping me?"

Mrs. Andrews looked like she was trying very hard to be patient.

She explained, "The Cuthbert's know Anne isn't interested in school anymore. If they're giving up- if they're on the fence about whether they should go ahead and withdraw her permanently- then we want to facilitate that!"

Seeing Billy's blank expression- he did not know what facilitate meant- she sighed and said: "She wants you to apologize, Billy. Do it nicely, and then they won't keep you from school out of spite!"

"Are you coming with me?" Billy asked. He did not want to go.

"No, no," Mrs. Andrews said, nervously patting her hair. "I don't see any need to subject myself to those people. I would die of embarrassment! No, dear, you'll have to take this on your own."

"I'll go with you, Billy," Jane spoke up helpfully. "They like me, so it'll be easier for you if I go with you."

"Great," Billy muttered.

Billy and Jane walked slowly across the fields.

-----

When they arrived Green Gables, Billy said, "The buggy's gone. They're not home. Good."

Jane pushed him ahead. "So what if Mr. and Miss Cuthbert aren't home? It's Anne you're supposed to apologize to!"

"Well, if they're not home, she's probably not either. Let's go," Billy urged, glad to find any reason to avoid apologizing.

"Of course she's home, she won't get out of bed, remember? You should remember, it's because of you!"

"Well, what if she says I did something to her while they were out?" Billy argued.

"But I'm with you," Jane told him sensibly. "You're not alone in the house with her. Besides, Gilbert's probably here, too."

"Why would he be here if they're not?"

"That's probably why he's here. They can't go anywhere unless Gilbert's here or Mrs. Lynde comes over. They don't leave Anne alone. Not ever. Dr. Carter said she might hurt herself."

"She's loony," Billy said, shaking his head.

Jane ignored that and prodded him along to the house.

Gilbert opened the door for them.

"Hi," he said to Billy.

"Hi," Billy answered.

"Billy wants to apologize to Anne," Jane announced.

"No, I don't," Billy couldn't help saying.

Jane looked back and forth between the two boys. The tension between them was an entity of it's own.