Chapter 14: A Ball of Magic

I open my eyes and see a grey sky. I look around and am surrounded by a desolate wasteland, devastation and destruction everywhere. Once grandiose cities are now nothing but more rocks to traverse.

I see two figures, standing back to back, one wielding a two-handed great-sword, the other holding a tall staff and a book. The one on the left, with the sword, has honey-blonde hair, and he was poised to attack. The one on the right, with the staff and book, had chocolate skin, and his mouth was moving, blue light flowing around him.

Attacking them are beasts. They look like atrocities. They have grey flesh, matted with mismatched fur, or is that hair? It looks like random, useless human arms and legs are sticking out, and bone and blood is peeking through the body. They look like if you took a bunch of human corpses, stirred them into a liquid mixture, and then turned that into a creature.

I shudder, stepping back from the beasts. There are dozens of them, and each one is at least seven feet tall, against two boys, around sixteen years old.

I gasp as the blonde-haired boy pierces one of the beasts with his blade, and the monster falls. Just as a monster is about to claw the other boy,  the blonde-haired one shouts, "MORRIS!! WATCH OUT!"

I feel a tear fall down my eye. Morris...no it couldn't be...not my Morris...

Morris holds out his staff and shouts, "Ferrum Glaciei!" I recognize the words.  Blade of ice... A few inches away from the staff, a spike of ice appears in the air and pierces the beast.

I watch in awe as the two boys decimate the dozens of beasts, words in another being flung around, my mind immediately translating for me, even though I don't recognize the language.

Morris bars the other boy on the shoulder, "Hey, Brenden, thanks for saving me back there."

It can't be. I stumble backward, tears rushing down my face. It had to be though.

It could just be a coincidence...

"You're welcome, Oleander."

It was. It was my best friends, in the midst of battle. Is this what the capital does to wishcasters? Is my sister in training for fighting those monsters? I stumble back.

They are cleaning off their uniforms, which have our emblem, a greatsword and staff crossed diagonally, with a double-bladed sword in the middle.

"Did you hear who our new recruit is?" Morris asks as they're checking their gear.

"No. Who is it?" Brenden asks, his curiosity spiked.

"Evelyn."

Brenden stops.

"No. Not Evie," he says, angrily as he looks ready to hurt someone.

"Yeah. Since she was from Warcaster, they assigned her to us," Morris explains.

"I can't."

"We have to."

"I can't," Brenden shouts, and I scream.

Light is exploding from him, pouring out of him. It looks as though he's blowing up from the inside out. Morris speaks into a piece of equipment on his wrist, "Code Ultima Mutatio, Agent Yundaoth. I repeat, Code Ultima Mutatio, Agent Yundaoth. I need backup!"

Code final transformation? What does that mean?

"Brenden, listen to me. We can protect Evie," Morris pleads.

Brenden looks angrily at Morris, his eyes pale yellow. He closes his hand into a fist, and it's suffocating Morris.

I shout, running forward, doing anything I can to stop them from fighting, and for just a minute I'm there. I can feel the wind hustling around me, smell the blood and ruin, hear the silent landscape, feel the dust of destruction, even taste the decay. A burst of purple light shoots out from my hand, the bandaged one, where I got my resistance tattoo. I hear the boys gasp, "Lily?" as the ball of light hits Brenden.