Chapter 9: Pandora's Home

I open my eyes and stare directly into a bright white light. I try to sit up, and someone is helping me up. I shake them off and sit up.

I turn to look at the figure and it's Trace. I mean, he's eight years older, sixteen probably, but he looks exactly like the little broken boy I saw in my flashback. I stare at him, open mouthed, still shocked that I traveled to the past and affected it. Who knew I could do that? I certainly didn't.

He looks at me, staring into my soul and it seems just as creepy as it did before. "It's you, isn't it? The girl that only I could see, who smiled at me and forgave me."

I nod. "Yeah. Though, I just experienced that a few minutes ago..."

"What?!"

"When I blacked out, I traveled into the past to learn about the boy who was responsible for my father's arrest."

"...your father...? Oh, that man that Laverna chose for her Reapers... you know, he's still alive, and is one of her top soldiers, though broken..."Trace says, putting the pieces together.

I could feel the tears trailing down my cheeks. I'd always thought my dad was just gone, dead probably, but him being alive, this boy knowing him, now he felt tangible. If I was going to rescue my sister, I would rescue my dad too.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry. I thought it'd make you happy, knowing he was alive. You're the reason I haven't lost my sanity," Trace exclaims, upset that he made me cry.

I wipe my tears. I'm not going to cry anymore. If I could help Trace, then I can be strong. "It's okay. I'm glad I helped you," I say, hugging him. He seems shocked, but hugs me back too. It's not romantic, it's just a hug of happiness, of joy. We're alive, and sane, and pieced together.

"It's so nice to finally meet you. I assume you know my name, but just in case," he winks at that part, "it's Prince Trace Orianna of the Dawn."

I gasp and playfully punch his shoulder, "wow, that's fancy. I'm just Lillian Morgan. Lily for short. Or, I guess if you want my ID, your majesty."

He shakes his head. "Not your majesty. Just Trace. We're friends."

"We are? We barely know each other."

"But you time-traveled back just to save me."

"Uh, it wasn't to save you. That was just a happy accident."

"Ha! Happy accident. That means you don't regret it. Now, friends. That's a royal order," he barks and I laugh.

And not just any laugh, but a good, deep one that sounds like a dying frog. He starts laughing too and we stay like that for a couple of minutes, bantering back and forth, having a jolly old time.

Then, the door into the nurse's office comes bursting open, Kyler and Jameson almost falling over each other to get in, the nurse following in, frowning at the two stumbling boys. They make it in and straighten up as though they didn't just fight to get in, and when they see Trace they immediately bow.

"I'm so sorry, your highness."

"Yes, I'm so very sorry."

I try to stifle a giggle but I fail miserably.

"Trace, you told me you went by your royal majesty, o great prince of the dawn," I wink at Trace, and the other two boys gasp.

Trace smiles and teases back, "I never told you to call me that. You came up with that on your own Lily."

"Sure, sure," I play off.