Chapter 40: Home, At Last

Trace looks at me, a slight sadness lingering in his eyes, and speaks softly as he starts to stand. "Lillian, don't let this divide you two. My growndey died before I was born. I would give anything to meet them, and see them at least once. I can't even begin to describe the emptiness I feel inside when I think about how they were taken from me."

I nod, "I understand." 

He walks out of the room, his eyes starting to water. I think about Lee, the growndey that this Trace will never get to know. Their story was so tragic. I won't waste this opportunity I've been given. I have to patch things up with Jameson. 

Leta stands up too, putting her hand on my shoulder. "You know more about me than anyone else does. I trust you Lillian. I promise that I'll protect Jameson, so you can protect the rest of us. I trust you. You can trust me," she says, looking at me with those bright green eyes. I can tell there's more she wants to say, but doesn't want to say in from of Kyler. 

I mean, I know that she's a Nyghtski too, and that it's her sister I'm going to face. 

Leta leaves the room too, until it's just me and Kyler. 

"I've heard people talk about Growndeys before, as the only true weapon against the Nyghtskis, but I'm not sure I understand fully," Kyler says, looking at the fireplace. 

"It's kinda like we're soulmates. Not necessarily in a romantic way, but our souls are...intertwined. Nyghtskis are very powerful, and a Growndey is the only one who can stop their Nyghtski, no matter what. They're a Nyghtski's foil, and perfect match," I explain, staring at the fireplace too. 

"I never really stood a chance, then," Kyler mutters dejectedly. 

"I just said it wasn't necessarily romantic," I answer, trying to not upset him. 

"That must be why he gave you a love potion, back then. As your growndey, he felt a connection to you, and wanted to make sure you felt it too. Gods, I'm such an idiot. I thought that I'd felt a stronger connection to you than Jameson, but I guess I was wrong," he says, and the fire flares. 

"What are you talking about?" I ask, confused. He's the one who pushed me away, before I left. 

The fire flashes, burning brighter and larger, and Kyler stands up, waving his hands frustratedly. 

"I've felt a connection to you this whole time--something so deep that I have to control myself everytime I look at you--but I was afraid that I would drag you down. I was afraid that you would risk yourself to protect me, if you knew how much I care about you. I haven't been able to sleep since you left. But I should've guessed that Jameson would win. No matter how hard I try, I'm never good enough. How could I compare to him? He's..." Kyler nearly shouts, walking around in circles. 

I close my eyes, and think for a moment. I care deeply about Kyler and Jameson. Kyler is my best friend, but he's also so much more. If I didn't already know that Jameson was my growndey, I'd assume it was Kyler. And Jameson, has changed so much over the past year--well it hasn't even been a year. I've known him my whole life, and I think he's unlocked a whole new part of himself. Despite all the animosity between us, I trust him. When my mother couldn't work, he provided for us. Maybe, he's always felt something for me. 

However, none of that matters. Very soon, I'm going to face Laverna. If I fail, she'll capture and brainwash me. Maybe, if I fail, Zayn will lay claim to me before that happens, and I'll end up marrying him, or serving him as his blade. Aeron could kill me for fear of losing Laverna. Or, if I succeed, I'll leave Victa. I'll return to Magora, and claim my throne, becoming the rightful Queen of Skyen. I'll have to fight and face Aeron, and I could die then too. There is no guaranteed safety in my future.