Chapter 29: A Wintry Rebellion

Wind is blowing roughly across my face, and I can see snow falling everywhere. I lift up my arm to shield myself from the cold, even though I know this is just a vision.

I stand amidst a snowy wasteland, nothing but white for miles. I try to orient myself, and figure out where I need to go.

Suddenly, a glowing blue owl flies overhead. It's magical, and as soon as my eye catches it, I start to run after it. Whatever the Keeper is trying to show me, I can feel that owl has something to do with it.

I chase after it for what feels like miles, until I'm standing atop a cliff, overlooking a battlefield. Two sides are poised to attack. The army on my left stands under the banner of the Bleeding Sun, the symbol of Zoro. I recognize it from Trace's coat, because he wears the same sigil. The other army stands under the banner of the White Snowflake, and I assume it must belong to Neve.

Five people meet in the middle, and I immediately recognize Zayn, though he looks much younger; his long hair braided behind his back. His eyes flicker darkly, and he's dressed in gold battle armor, lined with fur to protect against the cold. Next to him stands an older man with long snow white hair swept back in an elegant ponytail and blood red eyes. He's wearing fur lined gold armor too, though it's much paler, along with an elegant sweeping cape that signifies he is the general of Zoro's army. Across from them is a young man with dark skin, fire eyes, and violet hair, wearing gilded bronze armor adorned with fur. I can tell he is royalty too. Next to him stands a girl with pale, blue white hair and blue white eyes, looking like the embodiment of winter itself. Her silver armor is elegant and has fur on it too, blocking out the harsh cold. Behind them stands a girl with long black hair that fades into pale blue, and matching pale blue eyes. She's got darker skin, and light black leather armor on, meant for mobility, not frontline fighting. The glowing blue owl that I followed here lands on her outstretched arm as I climb down the cliff, trying to get to the convened people.

Once I make it to them, the girl with blue white hair speaks first, her voice ringing like winter bells, "Crown Prince Zayn Oriana, you're aware of what my cousin and I seek, correct?"

He looks hesitantly at the older man beside him before nodding, "Yes Lady Frostwynter. You seek justice and freedom for Neve. However, this rebellion must be quelled here. I cannot allow you to further disrupt the peace and sanctity of our people. Please, I beg of you, surrender, and no one else has to get hurt."

She rests her hand on the hilt of her sword, anger brewing in her eyes, "I want nothing to do with the peace and sanctity of your pitiful people. Let Neve become its own nation, and we will leave you in peace. My cousin and I want nothing but freedom for my people. Even your Growndey understands."

Zayn and the other girl bristle at Lady Frostwyner's last comment, but Zayn composes himself and speaks, "Then I'm sorry it has to be this way Yukina. And Deryn..." he starts, staring at her, the girl with black and blue hair.

She looks up into his eyes, tears brimming at the edges of hers, listening to whatever he's going to say wholeheartedly, but he just shakes his head and turns around, the white haired man following close behind him.

Yukina says one last thing though, her voice trembling with anger and vengeance, "Uncle, know that this is your fault. I hope you never get a restful night, knowing that this rebellion, this war, was caused because you murdered your own sister," and turns around, the boy who I assume is her cousin following her.

Deryn hesitates, looking longingly at Zayn. I can see in her eyes that she loves him, and she doesn't want to be on opposing sides, but something is keeping her allied with Neve. She sighs and turns on her heel, following after Yukina.