(3)For my own good

Leo POV

I waved to everyone at the Mess Hall. Then turned, letting my smile drop. I needed some time alone. The whole 'friend thing' is new to me. I didn't know what to do about it. I was stayed myself I guess.

I thought about what happened this morning. How Hazel knew how my mom died. How she now knows that I killed my mom. I sighed. I DID kill my mom. If I wasn't so different, my life would've been easier. Every kid would've thought fire powers would be awesome. I thought that, right until I murdered my mom. She was the best, always put everyone before her. That sounds like such a simple thing. When in reality, there should be more people in the world like that.

I remembered Hazels face when she saw the fire that burned on my palm. "That's so cool!" She shouted. Her face gaped in awe. I let out a laugh. Yeah cool, being a murderer is awesome! I told myself bitterly.

I made it back to my cabin no problem. I sat on my bed, thinking about the long day I had. I sat there, remembering what Teresa told me yesterday night. How she told me that she was sending me to a cleansing camp. She looked triumphed. As if she'd finally won. Hah! Let's see her face now. How I'm at a safe space, being called 'Leo' and 'he'.

Thinking of Teresa however, was a hard reminder of the new bruise and bruises on my back. I sighed and looked into the mirror that hung on the wall. I untied the white shirt and took my orange shirt off. I groaned. There was no way that I'd be able to bandage or heal these. I needed to find someone to help me with this. My binder was wrapped tightly around my chest and I realized I needed a new one.

Now, I trusted Hazel. But, I didn't want her to know about that, yet so. Who to go to. None of the kids. Then I snapped my fingers. There's a transgender staff, Cody, right? I'll bet he'll be able to help me. Slipped my orange shirt back on and buttoned up my white one. Not worrying about the dirt. I wasn't very excited about letting someone know about Teresa's, life lessons, but, it needed to be done.

While walking out I ran into Nico. We both bumped into each other. I groaned and held my forehead and Nico mumbled a small 'ow'. Before he could ask, I jumped up and helped Nico up. Then before he could speak I ran down the hill and to the counselors cabin.

When I got there, I heard voices coming from the inside. I didn't know whose was whose, but I just knocked and hoped Cody was here. The door flew open and a girl I've never seen before stood there.

"Why hello there! How can I help ya?" I rocked back and forth on my feet before looking back up at her.

"H-Hi, do you happen to know where Cody is?" She hesitated before asking.

"Why?" Now this was the problem now wasn't it. I would love to tell her but you see, I've only known her for about 30 and a half seconds now. So, I'd love not to spill my life's worst secrets to her. I think you can understand. I shook my head.

"Okay, I'd love to tell ya, but I can't so..." She raised an eyebrow and I groaned.

"Just tell me why and I'll tell you where Cody is." Now she was pushing, so I used the power of the McShizzleness sass to back me up.

"Look, we're at an LGBTQ+ camp, if someone wants to talk privately to specific camp counselor, it's because a. They want to ask that specific person something because they're curious. Or b. if they want to have a private talk with that person because of their catagory in the LGBTQ community. In my case it's the latest one. Sorry but the only reason we're here is on our own accord or our current guardian sent us here. But, not knowing they were sending us somewhere that would make us happy. It's the thought that counts and our guardians clearly didn't think or have our thoughts in their minds. So, if you could please tell me where Cody is that'd be great!" I finished with a gasp of breath.