26

The next morning I'm at the bookstore. I managed to convince Olivia not to tell me any details about what she knows because I would feel so guilty and obligated to tell Kayla. After Liv attempted to tell me a few times, I finally made myself fall asleep. By the time I left the house, she was still passed out so I left her in my room.

"How was skiing?" My coworker Jamie asks. "How was Ross?"

I smile at her as I put away the books in my hands. "It was a lot of fun. We had a great time."

"Does he have siblings or someone who is available? Anyone? Wanna share?"

I look over at her. "The clear obsession you have with my boyfriend freaks me out. Yeah, he has four siblings – one being a girl."

"Next time your boo thang comes in, I'll be sure to give him my number. To give to one of his single siblings of course," she winks and heads back to the register.

I roll my eyes and continue focusing on my job. I don't know why people act that way around me with my boyfriend. After her other comments that night of my car not starting, she's been giving me a weird vibe. That night and every night we worked together thereafter, she's been nonstop talking about Ross. She knows we're together so why does she have to bring him up every chance she gets?

I'm cleaning the windows of the store next when I see a blonde walking past the clear glass. All of a sudden, they stop and begin waving at me before heading into the store. "Hey Hayley!" Rydel says.

I smile and walk over to hug her. "Hey! How are you doing?"

"I'm great. Walking around town with my friend Vanni. She's outside on the phone," she explains as I look around to see where her friend is. All I notice is Jamie not being at the register. "How are you? How was Aspen?"

"It was a great weekend. Your mom mentioned to me how your family likes to go skiing a lot. We should definitely go at some point. I loved it," I say as I make causal conversation.

Rydel gets noticeably excited. "Yes! Of course. I have to start planning as soon as possible." I see a dark haired brunette girl wave through the glass. "Oh, I guess Vanni is done. I'll see you later. We should definitely get lunch together soon – just you and me!"

I nod. "Definitely. Bye Rydel!"

I wave to her friend then continue to clean down the windows. Next thing I know, Jamie walks over to me out of nowhere. "Was that his sister?" I nod in response. "What's her name?"

"Rydel," I respond without even glancing in her direction.

Jamie laughs. "No way. Let me guess their other siblings names. River, Ronnie and Roland."

"No."

She giggles some more. "Was I on the right track? What are their names?"

"Riker, Rocky and Ryland." I say with absolutely no emotion in my face. I begin to spray down the windows on the door.

Laughs erupt from her tiny body. "Seriously? That's so lame."

I finally turn to look at her. "Excuse me? Don't be a bitch, Jamie." I roll my eyes as she continues to laugh. "And if I remember clearly, I'm the manager on shift until Mike comes in. So get back to work and stop leaving the register. I'm not joking around anymore. It's unprofessional."

Jamie looks at me with wide eyes as she realizes I'm not kidding. She quickly walks back to the register and she doesn't move from her spot for the rest of the shift thankfully.

I walk outside to my car after clocking out. I put my phone to my ear and hear the rings of my phone call. "I'm sorry if I made you upset today," Jamie yells from behind me.