51

"I told you that someone asked me for help with finding directions," I begin, my heart already racing from his sudden burst of anger.

Ross stares me, the paper dangling from his fingertips. "What does that have anything to do with you having 'Tyler's' number?"

I can almost feel the heat radiating from him and it's actually freaking me out. "He asked me if I was graduating too and I said, no! That my boyfriend was. And he asked if I go to school with you, I said yes, he asked what my major was. We both have psych majors and he said that if I need help with any of my classes, I can text him."

"Why do I have a feeling you're lying to me?" He asks.

I groan, tilting my head back. "Please tell me you're not actually doing this right now. I can promise you that's what happened."

"Is this how it's going to be? You're going to go out and get random guy's numbers when I live in Cali?" He asks.

I turn to him, my eyes filling with tears for two reasons. One being he's acting like a complete asshole and the second being that he moves so soon, but I'm too aggravated to dwell on the second reason.

"You're seriously doing this right now," I mumble. "It happened today then as soon as he wrote down the number and handed it to me, Rydel called and I just threw it into my bag without thinking."

Ross huffs. "Interesting he'd give his number to you without you flirting with him."

"Why don't you trust me? I've never done anything to you to make you mistrust me. Why do you always pull this shit?" I yell suddenly. "Are you trying to find ways to break up with me before you leave?"

Someone pounds on my window, making me jump. I turn my attention from the window then right back to Ross as he rolls down the window. "We're waiting on you to leave. What's taking forever?" Rocky asks.

I refuse to turn my face back to Rocky as the tears are rolling down my face. Ross glances from me back to Rocky. "Sorry, we're leaving now. Got distracted." Ross mumbles.

Rocky taps his hand on the window then walks back to the car. I lean my hand out to the button and roll my windows up.

Ross puts the car in reverse and pulls out, driving slowly around the other cars. "Are you?" I whisper.

"Am I what?" He questions, pulling out of the school completely. I sigh and lean my head against the seat, putting my hand over my face. "Am I what, Hayl?" He repeats much louder.

I groan. "Are you finding any reason to break up with me before you leave? That's what it seems like."

"No, I'm not. I know you wouldn't go out of your way to hurt me," he says softly.

I sigh. "So why are you starting shit with me? You know I wouldn't hurt you."

"At first I was annoyed seeing it. Then I came to realization how soon I'm leaving you. I know you wouldn't do anything, but clearly guys have different intentions." He trails off as he continues driving through the town.

I glance over at him then pull down the mirror to fix my mess of a makeup. "You can't just do that shit to me, Ross. You can't just scream at me whenever you want if you're frustrated by something that's not my fault. I'm just as upset that you're leaving," I say, my thumbs attempting to clean up my mascara.

"I'm sorry."

I shrug. "This can't keep happening," I say.

Ross leans over and puts his hand onto my thigh, squeezing gently. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't be taking my anger out on you."