47

"What?" I ask as I stumble to my feet. "What?" I repeat myself louder this time.

Ross stands up and begins walking toward me. "Babe," he says.

"When did you find this out?" I question.

Finals are next week. Graduation is next Friday. He's moving to Los Angeles.

He attempts to grab my hand which I pull out of his reach. My heartbeat is pounding so loud I can hardly hear myself think.

"We only solidified these plans this week," Ross replies as he goes again to touch me.

"So now what? You're just... you're just leaving?" I ask slowly as though I can't comprehend any of this.

Two weeks ago, he couldn't spend a minute away from me. Today, he tells me he's moving ten hours away in a week. One. Fucking. Week.

He sighs. "Please come here," he softly demands.

"I can't even think right now, Ross. You'd be devastated if I pulled this shit on you! You couldn't be without me for a fucking minute two weeks ago and now you're moving ten hours away? That messes with my head," I yell as the tears begin to flow down my face. I feel like I'm going absolutely nuts.

Ross repeats himself. "Please, come here, Hayley." He's standing within two feet of me because every time he walks toward me, I walk backward.

"No, you don't get to attempt to comfort me after you drop this huge fucking bomb," I retaliate. I start walking toward the couch. I grab my keys and phone off the couch then begin walking to the door. "I can't do this right now," I say through my tears. I'm running on four hours of sleep and I can hardly think.

He runs toward the front door and barricades it. "Stop, please. I know you're upset, I understand." Ross grabs onto my hips and pulls me into his body as I now full out sob.

I am so overworked right now and my brain is slowly shutting down. He slides down so we are on the floor, his hands guiding me to lean into him some more. Ross stays silent, his hand pushing tightly into my back. 

"I don't want you to go," I cry, selfishly.

He nods. "I don't want to leave you either," he murmurs.

I feel my body starting to relax more as I lean my head on his shoulder. I lean back to observe his red face, tears brimming his eyes as well. "When? What day are you leaving?"

"Two days after graduation," he whispers.

9 days.

"Why so soon?"

Ross leans back so he's resting against the door. "That wasn't the first day I met with the music producer. We met a week ago and she encourages my siblings and I to create a band and to head to LA immediately."

I nod, my hands moving to wipe my face that definitely has mascara everywhere. "Well I'm happy for you," I whisper.

"You're allowed to be selfish. I know this isn't easy on you," he answers, his hand moving to my hair to tuck behind my ear.

I shrug. "I love you so I want what's best for you even if I'm not there and I'm not in it," I whisper.

"You're not breaking up with me, are you?" He asks, his eyes wide with panic.

I shake my head. "No. Things change though. We just have to understand that... that things can go different if we're in two different states. You'll meet music people and..."