16 - I'm Here For You

A/N: It may seem historical, but it's actually still Modern AU xD Also, there's some Martha x Thomas.

TRIGGER WARNING: Death, Blood, Missing Body Parts, Gore

I'll put the warnings above and underneath the paragraphs, so you can still read the story by skipping the "horror" part.
THE STORY HAS A FLUFFY ENDING, I SWEAR-

Editor: ButterySalt

Jefferson stood in front of his old house. The one he inherited from his father before it burned down. Strangely enough, it stood there in its old-fashioned beauty, not burned down and covered in ashes.

Thomas took a few steps forward. After finally entering the building, the interior design looked like Monticello; the second home he owned. He questioned himself with what was going on, but his thoughts were interrupted by violent coughs coming from the bedroom.

He entered the room and saw someone he never thought he would ever see again. It was Martha. Bedridden, weak and fragile, skin almost as pale as porcelain. He didn't question anything, only focusing on the woman in front of him, heart aching as he rushed over to her.

"M-Martha?" he asked with a shaky voice. He wondered what time it was for how long she had been in this state. But as he heard footsteps moving towards the door, he turned to see his sister standing by the entrance. Then it hit him. 4 months. Martha had been sick for 4 months. It's September 6th.

The woman he once loved and spent several years to overcome his grief for looked at him with tears in her eyes, "Thomas," she whispered, "Promise me you will take care of yourself. Promise me you will be okay."

Jefferson's heart shattered. Those were the exact same words she had told him ten years ago. The words that left her mouth before never waking up ever again.

Tears started to stream down his cheeks as he cupped her face in his hands." No. N-no, Martha. Please don't," he managed to say. "Please don't do this to me again."

Thomas's sister walked towards him, grabbing his arm and trying to push him away. "Thomas, you don't want to see this, I assure you..." she said.

"No! You can't drag me away this time!" He turned his face back to his dying wife again, "Martha, please don't leave me."

The rest of the horrible evening was almost a blur. Time seemed to pass by slower than usual. Jefferson's sister dragged him out of the bedroom as soon as Martha's eyes begged her to lead him away. Jefferson tried to free himself from his sister's grasp, yelling and crying, begging to let him go. Saying he didn't want to hurt his sibling, but she didn't listen to him - only dragging him further away, up the stairs into his library. She knew he would have been in much worse shape if he was by his wife's side when she died.

Once in the library, she locked the door and hid the key. 

"Thomas, stop this nonsense! You're a grown man, keep it together!" she yelled as tears were also starting to form in her eyes. Martha was her friend. She knew her words were harsh, but Thomas needed to stay strong.

He paced around the room, hands in his hair, on his head, face, crying, not being able to go through the same pain a second time. Many sobs escaped the grown man as he was crying mercilessly. But how could you blame a poor soul who had just lost the most important person in his life? For the second time...