28 - Why Do You Love Me?

A/N: Yo, Mads is depressed. Also, this going to be rlly fucking cheesy, so prepare XD

Editor: ButterySalt

Madison was currently sitting in bed, Thomas sleeping peacefully next to him, looking half dead though. He didn't know what time it was at the moment, but he didn't care. He just couldn't sleep. He thought about the man next to him - about his two sides.

Thomas always used to be careless and, to put it simple, an asshole in public. But ever since he fell in love with James, he acted sweetly and kindly around him. He was weak for the smaller man and would do anything for him. He did act like a jerk when Madison wasn't present though. He turned back into the Thomas Jefferson everyone knew and, most likely, disliked.

Especially towards Alexander Hamilton. When James was around, he didn't insult him that much compared to whenever his partner wasn't present.

In private, James seemed to know the real Thomas Jefferson: Even more caring, childish, humorous, vulnerable and generous with a heart full of love to give. That was what he loved about him, though he didn't understand WHY Thomas only cared about James. Why he fell for him. And WHY he acted cruel in public without James at his side. Should he feel special? Would that be selfish of him?

James glanced down at Thomas, whose face was squished into the soft pillow, lips slightly parted as the man breathed and laid on his stomach.

"Thomas?" James said softly, but there was no response.

"Thomas..." he asked again, a bit louder this time. Thomas let out a hum, acknowledging James.

"Thomas, why do you love me?"

That got Thomas into opening his eyes and looking up at his beloved tiredly. "Whatcha mean?" he said groggily, rubbing his eyes.

"Why do you love me? Why didn't you choose someone better than me?" Madison asked. There are plenty of people out there that are way better than him in any way - in his eyes at least.

Jefferson propped himself up with his elbow, leaning his weight on it. "James..." he started. "You're the most wonderful person in the world. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. You're so intelligent, kind-hearted, helpful, sweet, adorable, charming, beautiful and so much more," the taller man said, looking at James lovingly.

"Okay..." the other said, feeling his cheeks grow hot at his partner's remarks. He would never understand how and why Thomas was seeing anything in him, but he was going to ask a more important question, "But why do you act differently when I'm around you? When we're in public and when we're at our own?"

"That's because no one, and I mean no one, deserves all the love I can give except for you. You inspire me to make myself a better person. I mean, I'm trying. You're the love of my life. Why would you ever think otherwise?"

"I feel like I don't deserve your love. I'm me, after all," James shrugged and looked away, too embarrassed to talk about his feelings just like that.

Jefferson reached out his hand and placed it on Madison's cheek, moving his head to face him. He gave him a soft kiss on the lips, Madison kissed back reluctantly.

"James, you're right. You are you. And I love you. I love every single thing about you, and nothing is ever going to change that. Okay?"

A quiet pause followed, and Madison took the time to process that.

"Please stop believing you're not worth everything I do for you. Because you are. You're so worth it, James," Jefferson said with a smile, kissing him again.

He held Madison close to his chest, hoping to have calmed him down. After a while they lay back down, still hugging each other. Thomas kissed Madison's head.

"I love you," he smiled.

"I love you, too."

A few minutes passed, Madison's mind still working, still not slowing down. Still being distracted by all of those thoughts. But there was always something that kept him going - and that was the man holding him.

"Thank you, Thomas," James whispered as sleep started to overtake his partner. Jefferson was still awake enough for his mind to register Madison's words and smiled warmly.

(697 words)

A/N: Sorry for not writing for so long! Have a nice day/evening!