26 - Company

A/N: Propmt 1: "Do you want me to leave?"

Requested by Mylifeas_Tessa33

Editor: ButterySalt

Jefferson worked late at his office on a special case. It wasn't really special to him, but it was important to Washington, who also thought it would be a good idea to put Hamilton and Jefferson on the same case. Working together. How irritating.

Thomas didn't even know how many papers there were scattered across his desk as he stood in front of the table and looked down at the even messier floor; he lost count of them. He was beginning to become frustrated and held his head in his hands, exhaling exasperatedly. His hands moved to the back of his neck as he shot his head up when he heard a knock at the door.

"Come in," he said and in stepped his coworker and best friend, James Madison.

"Thomas why are you still- woah. What happened here?" Madison asked, looking at the mess and closed the door behind him.

"Difficult case. Orders from Washington to work together with Hamilton. Makes things even more complicated."

He removed his hands from his neck and walked behind his desk again. He sat down in his swivel chair and shot a glance at his watch, groaning at the sight of the late hour. Before Madison could say another word, Hamilton opened the door and stepped into the office.

"Jefferson, I have a few more- "

"Oh, no, come on! And how about you knock next time, idiot?" Thomas yelled at him.

"Look, it's not my fault this case is a piece of shit, and I understand that you're pissed and tired, but we have to go through this together. So, could you please just take these extra papers?" Hamilton said, already irritated enough. He made his way towards Jefferson, slamming the stack of documents on the Virginian's table.

Jefferson stood up and opened his mouth to start yelling again, but James cut him off. "Uhm, do...you want me to leave? You seem to be getting in an argument...again..."

Thomas quickly gave him a pleading look, letting James know he wanted him to stay without Hamilton noticing it. He turned his attention back to the other lawyer.

"Yeah, but your questionable ways of solving the problem is making everything even more complicated!" He told him.

Hamilton clapped his hands together. "Mhm, okay. So, I have about twice as many papers in my office than you do, so I don't have fucking time for this," Alexander said, flipping Thomas off and walking backwards so he was still facing the taller man. "See ya, fucker!"

Jefferson raced towards the door and slammed the door shut as loudly as possible, hoping this could calm him down.

"Asshole," he grumbled and walked back to his desk. He looked back at Madison who was still standing awkwardly in the middle of the room.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's okay," James said back, stepping closer to his friend. "Do you want me to help you with this?"

"No, no, no, James. It's late, you should get home."

"Not without you," James replied with a slight smile.

Jefferson sighed and smiled back at him. "Thank you. I could really use your company right now."

"It's no problem," James said and walked over to hug his friend, Thomas gratefully hugging back.

Gosh, Thomas wanted to kiss him, right here, right now. I mean, what?

Throughout the night, Thomas and James worked on the case. They signed papers, read through them, found a few possible solutions, and even organized some documents. They worked until the sun began to rise and Thomas couldn't be happier to have such a great friend, and silently hoped for something more than just friendship one day.

(608 words)