✰ you still do, don't you.

johnny

johnny

i impatiently pry through the mountains of clothes in the bottom of the closet, that i failed to hang on hangers. a date soon awaiting, reason being i'm in a rush. she's in the bathroom, supposed to be getting dressed.

my calloused fingertips brush up against something surprisingly hard at the very corner of the closet. sitting down on the cold wooden floor, i drag what seems to be a box from the corner of the closet, placing it between my legs. a red satin box with a tag labeled "what once was mine", written in silver marker.

with a small key latched to the side, i hold onto it. debating wether or not i should invade her privacy because this didn't belong to me. although she'd usually tell me about things like this, so i have every right too.

turning the key slightly to the left, the red lid propped open. unveiling, a good bit of polaroid pictures. not just any, but of her and her ex. jack gilinsky. that she promised me that she threw away long ago. there's a small note written on the bottom of each of them.

"you'll always have my heart." the picture showing the two at a bar, while she's grasping onto his arm.

"never going to stop loving you, babe." i couldn't tell if the writing was old, but it was hers, and my heart sank into my chest. sliding the box away from me, all i could feel were my insides tampering.

"baby!" i yelled out for her in the bathroom downstairs. i hear the small taps of her feet against the oak floor, leading herself to me. before she could say one word she glanced at the box of pictures and then at me, taking in the full amount of hurt on my face.

"it's not like that-"

"it's not like what!" i seethe, "do you know how this shit makes me feel!" she kneels down to my level but i can't put myself to look at her or even in her direction.

"it was never meant to hurt you john." i look up at her pouted face, bottom lip poking out.

"if it was never meant to hurt me you would've thrown them away!" i breathe, "but you fucking lied to my face."

"please babe," she begged. i reached for my car keys, while standing on my two feet. she tried to hold me but i pulled away.

"please." another whine, and all i could do was look into her watery eyes. making my heart's pace speed up.

"answer this." i bite back my bottom lip.

"do you still love him?"

yo b.