(16)

Madeline's voice eased me awake. Her small voice was talking calmly as if she were talking to a friend. I opened my eyes and crawled away from Adam looking up to see Madeline talking to the marble.

   Corey's unconscious figure was laying in the bubble, he was fast asleep and covered in bandages. I got up and covered Adam with the covers before walking over to Madeline.

   "What are you doing?" I sat beside her and she flinched for a second.

   "Talking to Corey." She whispered, most likely to make sure she didn't wake up Adam. "When I was sick he would always sit with me and talk to me making sure that I was okay every five minutes. So I'm doing the same with him." She smiles and I can't help but feel sad.

   "Well, when you're brother wakes up and the coast is clear we'll head that way to make absolutely sure that Corey is okay. I pinky promise." I hold out my pinky and with a smile she wraps her pinky around mine.

   "If you break this pinky promise I'm breaking your pinky." Madeline smiles sweetly and I can't help but laugh.

   "If you can catch me that is." I tease and she lunges for me wrapping me in a big hug. We let out small laughs hearing Adam walk over to us. "Morning." I greet with a smile.

   "Morning you two. Madeline are stealing Skylar?" Adam teased.

   "No, I'm just spending time with my sister-in-law." Madeline smirks and I feel my cheeks heat up.

   "Well I don't know if Skylar will ever say yes so we can't really say for sure she'll be your sister-in-law." Adam says with a tint of red staining his cheeks.

   "Well if you don't get her to marry you I will marry her." Madeline says. "Only so I can rub it in your face that I have her and you don't." Madeline sticks out her tongue and I start laughing as they share a glare towards each other.

   "I don't belong to anyone." I say breaking their glare. "Besides I'm already engaged." I say holding up my left hand to show them the diamond ring. Adam's jaw drops and I can see the hurt in his eyes before he further examines the ring.

   "That is your mother's wedding ring." Adam says.

   "I fooled you didn't I." I smile and he jumps up to chase me around. "It was just a joke! Adam stop it!" I shout as he grabs my waist pulling me to his chest

   In my laughing state I can see Madeline trying to break me free and can't help but to pretend I can't get out of the situation. We play like this for a moment longer before I feel a stranger presence. I stop playing around and ask them to be quiet for a second.

   "Someone's here." I whisper and Madeline's body is frozen in fear as she clings to Adam's arm.

   "Stay here and stay quiet." I command and crawl up the stairs to the window-like entrance.

   I take a peek outside to see at least ten Rogue werewolves circling the base of the tree. They all seem to be really pissed off and I can't see why since their the ones who decided it was a good idea for me to bail on a wedding that was sure to be lovely.

   I crawl back into the tree and inform Adam of our current situation. He paces the room as Madeline sits in the corner holding onto the image of Corey. I think of an idea and try to think of the possible outcomes.

   "Give me your suit jacket." I pull on Adam's sleeve and for a moment he's confused. "I have a plan and I need your suit jacket to do it." I explain in a low whisper.

   "Are you going to tell me the plan?" Adam asked taking off his suit jacket.

   "You won't like it so I'm just going to do it. All you have to do is run when I tell you, and make sure to get Madeline back to my mansion. I'll distract them while you guys run away. Make sure to tell Tracey I sent you." I put Adam's suit jacket on and climb up to the roof going up through a small hatch.