(22)

"So, why don't you like crab?" Madeline asked once we were safe inside the empty kitchen.

   "I don't like any fish really. My Dad used to say it was healthy so I never really liked it. If it's healthy, it isn't for me." I shrug and look around the pantry and through the fridge. "What do you want for lunch?" I asked looking back at Madeline as she hopped onto the counter.

   "I have no idea." Madeline shrugs. "I'm usually not allowed to choose what I want to eat. I like potatoes though." Madeline smiles as she swings her feet. "Do you like potatoes?"

   "I like them a lot. I know, we could have some baked potatoes. They're super good. Have you ever had one?" I asked getting everything out.

   "I don't think so, I've only eaten those baby potatoes. In soups and stuff." Madeline watches me as I move around the kitchen. "Why don't you use your magic in the kitchen?" Madeline asked watching me.

   "I do sometimes, but I think it's easier to do it old school." I move everything and wrap the potatoes in tin foil placing them in the oven. "Speaking of school, are you in school?" I asked.

   "Home schooled. My parents think I'm not allowed to go to school with other kids. They say that I'm too smart to be in school. If I was in school I'd be in my freshmen year and I'm only seven."

   "That's pretty impressive. Being able to think on a higher level can get you many places but sometimes it's better to stay ignorant." I whirl around the kitchen cooking our food and preparing something small for the road.

   "Did you go to school?" Madeline asked.

   "No, my parents thought I was a bit too dangerous to be around other kids. They were right but I always thought if I learned young I could control it." I shrug.

   "Control what?" Madeline asked with a tilt of her head.

   "Well, I'm not like other people. Neither are my family, in fact we are quite special. Not that everyone else isn't special, we just can't control what we have." I try to avoid her question.

"So, do you control different things? Or is it hard to control one thing?" Madeline sure is persistent.

   "I don't really like talking about it. It's not something I'm proud of." I explain a little easier.

   "Because I'm a kid." Madeline confirms.

   "No, because I don't like talking about it. But when I am ready, I'll tell you exactly what I can control." I smile and she nods.

   "Pinky promise." She holds out her hand and I hold out mine.

   "Pinky promise." I wrap my finger around hers as the oven dings. "Potatoes are done." I grab the tin foil wrapped potatoes and cut them open filling them with everything I gathered.

   "Those look good." Madeline stands beside me looking up at the counter.

   "They taste good too. Do you want make yours and then we can head back to the dining hall?" I asked.

   "Do we have to go back?" Madeline asked sad faced.

   "No, we can eat somewhere else if you want." I suggest placing some bacon bits in my mouth.

   "I know the perfect spot." Madeline smiles as she fills up her baked potato.

   When she's done we grab our food and use the servant entrance to leave the kitchen without anyone else finding out. I follow Madeline down the halls until she stops at the library.