23

"Bye, Kitty..."

Vivien was resting on my hip with her head on my shoulder. We were both waving goodbye to Dan as he left for the night. I locked up the house, turned on the alarms, and brought her upstairs to give her a bath.

My girl was half asleep, but as soon as I began pouring water on her head, she perked right up. I gave her a large rubber duck, along with a few little ones, for her to play with. By the end of her bath, I dried her tiny curls, wrapped her up in her favorite towel, and carried her into her room. I took a seat on her bed, let her rest against me, and gently rubbed her arms and legs until she was dry.

I got her into her pajamas, tucked her into bed, and read her a bedtime story. Near the end of the book, she was sound asleep—I turned on her nightlight, set the book down, kissed her forehead, and left the room. I got myself ready for bed, sent a goodnight text to Dan, then fell asleep.

"Daddy!" Vivien cried. She charged into my room and tugged on my duvet. "Daddy, wake up!"
"Hm?" I hummed. "What's wrong, pumpkin?"
"There's a monster under my bed!"
"Huh?"
"A monster, daddy, hurry!" She pulled on my sleeve as tears streamed down her face.
"Oh, pumpkin..." I picked her up and held her in my lap. "Stay here and daddy's gonna go kill the monster."
"Don't leave me," she sobbed.
"Do you wanna help me kill it?" She shook her head. "I'd have you sleep in here, but Kitty's coming home early." She pouted and brought her legs to her chest.
"Here, just come fight the monster with daddy. I won't let you get hurt."

I got off the bed, picked her up, and grabbed a bottle of Glade that Dan turned into 'Monster Repellent". We headed into her room where I set her down, she latched onto my pant leg and cowered behind me.

"Get it, daddy!" she cried.
"I am, pumpkin, don't worry."

I sprayed the void under her bed, but had her spray the last bit to 'kill it'. By the end, she was hugging me tighter than she ever has. I sat on the floor, held her in my lap, and kissed her cute, curly head.

"Feel better?" She nodded. "Are you sure? Do you wanna stay with me until you're totally fine?" She nodded again. "Come on, pumpkin." I picked her up, set her on my hip, and carried her back to my room. "Hey Google, turn on Netflix."

I set her down on Dan's side of the bed before dimming the lights so there wouldn't be a glare on the tv. Vivien started whining, so I turned on the bedside lamps. I crawled into bed, leaned against the headboard, and brought Vivien close to me.

"What do you wanna watch, pumpkin?"
"Belle..."
"Beauty and the Beast it is."

We watched the movie contently as she hummed along to the songs. After Be Our Guest, Vivien started getting drowsy, so I sung her Tale as Old as Time to get her to sleep. I brushed her hair back and couldn't help but smile from ear to ear at my girl.

Dan is calling...

"Hello?" I whispered.
"You two look cozy," Dan smiled. "What's she doing in our bed anyways?"
"She got scared by the monster under her bed."
"Again?"
"Unfortunately," I sighed. "So how's work?"
"It's work. I'd rather be with you guys."
"I wish you were here too, kitten. I miss you so much on the weekends." He let out a chuckle. "What?"
"No, it's nothing. You're just funny."
"How so?"
"You always prided yourself on how you'd never fall in love, that's all."
"People can change, but–"
"Never is a long time," he finished.
"Exactly," I beamed. "I love you."
"I love you too, and hey, let her sleep in our room tonight. She doesn't take up much room—I'm sure I can squeeze in next to her."
"Are you sure?"
"Positive. Let her sleep."
"If you say so."
"You should get some sleep."
"But I wanna keep talking to you."
"But I need to work."
"And you can hang up when you get a work call."
"But I don't wanna get fired."
"It's almost like I have enough to support us," I smirked.
"Fair point," he giggled. "Seriously, honey, it's getting late and you have a meeting tomorrow. Try and get some sleep."
"If you insist," I said. "Stay safe, kitten."
"I will. Sleep well, love."
"I'll try my darnedest," I grinned. "Goodnight."
"Night."

End Call.

I turned the movie off and rolled Vivien over, so her head could be on a pillow rather than my lap. I got out of bed, turned the main light off along with my lamp, but kept Dan's light on. She really is a spitting image of him—the loves of my life are scared of the dark, what are the damn odds.

At six o'clock sharp, Dan walked into the room, accidentally waking me up. I sat up, fixed my hair, and flashed him a smile. He walked over to my side of the bed and planted a quick kiss on my dry lips.

"How was work?" I asked.
"It was slow. Sorry I woke you up," he mumbled as he changed into his pajamas.
"Don't worry about it. You know I'd never get mad at you."
"Scoot over."

I looked over, and sure enough, Vivien had taken up Dan's spot. I cracked a smile and made room for Dan on my side of the bed. I cuddled him up in my arms, placed a kiss at the back of his head, and sighed.

"Why'd you pick me, Phil?"
"I'm sorry?"
"You're so handsome and rich and smart. Why'd you settle for me?"
"Are you drunk?" I teased.
"No, just delirious. Answer the question."
"Well, at first it was because I thought you were so damn attractive. Then, I got to know you and I knew I didn't want to lose you. Besides, you told me to live a little," I chuckled.
"Yeah, but why didn't you leave after you found out about Vivien?"
"Honestly, I don't know. I think the question is, if you didn't like me at first, how come you didn't mention you had a daughter? That would've made me run for the hills."
"Because I knew you were more than a playboy."
"Really?" I raised a brow.
"There was just something about you... I dunno, I can't explain it." He pouted as he leaned against me a bit more. "Phil..."
"Yes?"
"The first time you said that you loved me, y'know, when you properly proposed to me, did you mean it?"
"Of course I did..."
"Then why'd you lie and say you didn't?"
"Because I'm a dumbass. I thought that was clear," I smiled. "Why're you asking all this? Did someone get in your head?"
"I just got kinda depressed last night, that's all."
"Did you remember to take your meds?" He shook his head. "And why didn't you take them?"
"I just forgot," he mumbled.
"Well, I love you, Dan, and that's never going to change. And for god's sake, set a timer for your meds, you spork."
"Shut it, ya dildo, and go back to bed." We both silently laughed before kissing one another. "I love you too."
"Get some sleep."
"I'll certainly try."
"Kitty?" Vivien yawned.

She sat up in bed, brushed her hair out of her eyes, and let out a big yawn. I kissed Dan again before letting out a chuckle and turning to the little one.

"I got her. Good morning, pumpkin!"