18

"What'd you do?"
"Said I didn't want more kids," I huffed. "I mean, what was he expecting? He knows I don't like them."
"I don't know what to tell you, sweetheart. Maybe he thought you'd change after growing so close with Vivien. Did you at least say you'd think about the idea?"
"No."
"And why not?"
"Because I'm not going to lie to him."
"I don't know what to tell you, Phil."
"But you're supposed to help me, Mum," I cried.
"Phil, I wish I could, but I just can't. I have to go to work, I'll talk to you later."
"Fine."

End Call.

I tossed my phone onto the coffee table and stared at Vivien. She was playing with a plastic tea set, having the time of her life. She looked over to me and held out an empty cup.

"Do you want me to fill it? Want water? Milk?"
"Dada."
"Want me to join?" I got up and made my way to the floor. I took the tea cup from her hands and pretended to sip from it. "Mmm, so good, pumpkin. You make excellent tea." She held out a plate. I took a bite of the imaginary food and rubbed my belly. "Oh my goodness, pumpkin, you make the best crumpets."
"Hey," Dan called. "I'm going to work."
"Okay," I said. "What do you want for dinner? I'll make you anything you want."
"I'll text you."
"Hey, honey?"
"Yeah?"
"Can you please pick up my meds on your way home? They should be ready at four."
"Sure. I gotta go."
"I don't get a kiss?" I teased.
"No, you do not."
"What about Viv? She'll throw a fit."
"Fine."

He opened the gate and walked into the lounge. He knelt down, kissed the top of her head, and gave her a quick hug. He looked to me, rolled his eyes, then quickly pecked my lips.

"I'll see you later."
"Bye..."

***

"Thanks for meeting with me," I said.
"What happened to your arm?" Michelle asked.
"You haven't seen the news?" She shook her head. "I was shot. My arm has to stay in a sling for a while."
"Oh god... are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'll be fine."
"Okay, so what's up?"
"Dan wants another kid–"
"I'm not carrying it for you."
"I'm not asking you to. Just listen please."
"Right, sorry."
"I don't want another kid, and I don't know what to tell him..."
"How about Hey, honey, I don't want anymore kids?"
"I tried that and now he's mad at me."
"He's a pretty easy going guy, I'm sure he'll get over it."
"I-I don't know..."
"For his sake, will you consider having another baby?"
"Michelle, I hate kids..."
"Oh really?" She raised a brow as she leaned back in her chair.
"Okay, Vivien doesn't count."
"I don't think you hate kids. It's perfectly fine not to want any more kids, but I don't think you hate them."
"They're slimy and gross."
"Babies are, yeah, but you do not hate them, Phil. You're an amazing father who's just fine with his one. One of you are bound to cave on what you want, and whatever happens, happens."
"I guess you're right."
"I know I am." She checked her watch and reached for her bag. "I have to get going, but this was fun. Say hi to Vivien for me."
"I will," I smiled. "Bye, Michelle."

***

"Dude, Owen fucking sucks ass."
"I do too, what's the issue?"
"Knock it off, Lester, I'm serious. He's not qualified for this high position of a job!" Chris yelled. "He's driving us into the ground and it's only been a week! This is ridiculous!"
"I'm back in two weeks. Stop giving him so much to do. As much as it sucks, you and Liguori are gonna have to take on a lot of his responsibilities. Not only will it benefit the company, but it'll prevent him from taking one of your positions."
"I'm home!" Dan called.
"Okay, Chris, I have to go. I'll work on it, okay?"
"Whatever. I want him fired."

End Call.

"Trust me, I do too," I sighed. "How was work?"
"It was alright. It's flu season so there was an abundance of sick kids. Here are your meds," he said as he handed me the bag.
"Thanks." I kissed his cheek. "Did Viv get her flu shot yet?"
"No, would you mind taking her tomorrow?"
"Yeah, sure I can. Your office?"
"Sure, bring her around eleven."
"No problem."
"So what's for dinner?"
"Fettuccine alfredo with grilled chicken."
"Sounds yummy."
"There's some red wine for you too."
"Oh wow, haven't tried this one yet, but it looks expensive."
"I'm not a fan of red wine, but that's really good."
"Hm, can't wait to try it. Thanks for making dinner, by the way."
"It was my pleasure. Being a house husband is kind of fun," I smiled. "Would probably be more fun if I had full range of my body and y'know, not a pounding concussion, but it's a good time."
"Glad to hear it," he chuckled. "Your sling looks a little loose. Want me to tighten it?"
"Would you mind?"
"Not at all. C'mere." He tightened it a bit and accidentally knocked into my shoulder.
"Ah!" I hissed.
"Oh my god, I'm sorry!"
"It's fine, it's fine," I groaned. "Shit, it's a good thing you're pretty," I laughed. Dan started mimicking my laugh in an effort to cheer me up. "Hey," I chuckled.

My tongue poked out of the side of my mouth, and Dan didn't hesitate to copy me. I began hitting his shoulder and he just giggled some more before wrapping his arms around my neck.

"You're too cute, Lester."
"Yeah? Well you're a dick, Lester," I smirked as I kissed him. "Are you still mad at me?"
"A little, but I'll get over it."
"Really?"
"Maybe."
"I love you, y'know." He kissed me again and started playing with my hair. "Hey," I grinned.
"Philip..."
"Daniel?"
"When do you think we can start having sex again?"
"Subtle."
"Oh, shut up, we haven't done anything in two weeks, cut me some slack."
"You can ride me anytime you want, kitten," I whispered in his ear.
"Are you serious?"
"Why wouldn't I be?"
"I can put Vivien to bed after dinner..."
"Can't wait, kitten."