26

"Miss Lester, your meeting was pushed from four to one."
"But I have a client meeting at one."
"They're willing to push it."
"Fine with me. Excuse me."

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in!" I called.
"Hi, I need you to sign off on these," she said.
"Yeah, of course." I took the papers from her hands and quickly went through them."
"Thanks, dad."
"No problem. How's your day going?"
"It's fine. Really busy. Why'd you have the meeting moved, by the way?"
"I have my reasons. See you at one, pumpkin."
"Dad," she blushed, "don't say my nickname in the office."
"I'm the boss, I can call you whatever I want to call you."
"Dad," she whined. "Please don't call me pumpkin..."
"I won't," I lied. "See you at the meeting."
"Yeah, yeah, see ya."

***

"Thank you all for coming on such short notice, I really appreciate it," I said. "So, you all know I'm not one to waste time so I'll just cut right to the chase. After forty-seven years at this company, I have decided to retire. Who's going to be CEO, you might ask. Well, after a lengthy discussion with several partners and other executives, we've come to the decision that Miss Vivien Lester should be taking my place."
"What?" she whispered. "You want me to be CEO?"
"Yeah, Lester, this is nepotism!" the CFO, Mallory, said.
"Well, actually, it's not. For starters, I wasn't allowed to make the final decision. Second of all, the other COO, PJ Liguori, said he'll be retiring within the next five years, so he suggested Vivien took over the position for me."
"Mr. Lester, may I speak with you in the hall, privately, for a minute?" Vivien asked.
"Of course. Excuse us, everyone."

Vivien and I walked into the hallway, quietly shutting the meeting door. She leaned against the wall, folded her arms, and raised her brow at me.

"What?"
"Why're you doing this?"
"Doing what?"
"Promoting me? I've only been here for seven years. I'm climbing the ranks awfully fast, don't you think?"
"That's because you're awfully qualified. I don't know if you've noticed, but most people at your level are complete dumbasses, and they're much older."

She let out sigh and I smiled at her proudly.

"Pumpkin–"
"Dad–"
"Pumpkin, you are so smart and so successful and you're going to be an amazing CEO."
"But–"
"You'll be the first female CEO of the company and youngest to ever grace this planet."
"Wait, really?"
"Yes." And I leaned in to whisper, "your starting salary will also be bumped to £14 million."

Her eyes widened as she glared at me like a deer in the headlights.

"What..."
"Yeah, pumpkin. Please... take the job..."
"Okay, I will."
"Then it's settled," I grinned. "Congratulations, Miss Lester." I held out my hand for her to shake it.
"Thanks, Mr. Lester."
"Watch it," I chuckled. I pulled her in for a hug as we swayed back and forth. "I'm so proud of you, pumpkin."
"Thanks, daddy... I'll do you proud... don't you worry."
"You've never had me worried a day in my life."

***

"To Vivien!" Dan cheered.
"To me!" she giggled.

Dan insisted on taking Vivien out to congratulate her promotion and commence my retirement. He had raised a glass in celebration of the two of us in the middle of the restaurant—we were lucky no one was staring at us.

"Pumpkin, I am so proud of you," Dan said.
"Thanks, Kitty," she beamed. "I honestly can't even fathom that I got the job. Oh, and the money!"
"It's nice, isn't it?" I smirked.
"Daddy, how much do you make, if you don't mind me asking."
"£26 million."
"Phil, sweetie," Dan whispered.
"Hmm?" I hummed.
"With joint accounts, are we–"
"Billionaires? Oh yeah."
"Why in the hell did I say no to you for like three years?"
"I'm glad you did," I shrugged.
"Why's that?"
"Wait," Vivien interrupted, "you turned dad down? Why's that?"
"I was a creep," I said, "I don't really blame him."
"Wait, now, why are you happy I turned you down?" Dan asked.
"If you said yes the first time, it would've either just been a quick fling and we never would've spoken again. Or, even worse, we would've stayed together and we wouldn't have Vivien."
"Why wouldn't you have me?"
"I don't care for kids," I said.
"Excuse me‽"
"Oh, no, pumpkin, I love you to death, it's just... I was never the biggest fan of children."
"You didn't want me?"
"Honey, by the time kitty and I got together you were already six months. I didn't have much of a choice in the matter when it came to liking you," I chuckled. "I love you with all my heart, pumpkin. I really do."
"I don't doubt that you do, daddy. It's just news to me, is all."
"Sorry," I sighed, "new conversation."
"Mm, pumpkin," Dan mumbled.
"Yeah?"
"When do you think you're gonna start trying to settle down and have some kids?"
"Uh, never?"
"Why's that?"
"Because whenever I try to have a relationship it goes to shit. I'm done trying. I'll have myself and my money. Maybe in like five years I'll go to the sperm bank and have a kid, that way I'll have someone to inherit everything."
"Girl knows what she wants," I smirked as I sipped my drink.
"But, pumpkin, being in love is the best feeling in the entire world," Dan pleaded.
"Please," she scoffed. "I will never love anyone. I will never feel the need to say some sappy shit like, 'You are the love of my life. Everything I have and everything I am is yours forever', okay?"

Dan and I looked to each other—we couldn't help but smile.

"What? What're you two sharing that look for?"
"It's nothing, pumpkin," Dan lied.
"Oh, but it's something. Tell me!"
"I said those exact words to your Uncle Chris the night I met your father. Look where I ended up." I looked to Dan and winked. "I also said that you were the love of my life the day I adopted you. The same exact Barney Stinson speech."
"What made you say it?"
"You called me dada and my heart just melted. I knew I wanted to be with you forever and be the best damn dad I could be."
"That's so sweet..."
"Yeah..." Dan grabbed my hand. "I really picked a winner..."
"Well, before we get any more sentimental, I'm gonna run to the bathroom. Don't touch my food."
"No promises," I teased.

She rolled her eyes as she let out a faint giggle. She strolled over to the other side of the restaurant, glaring at her phone as she walked. Then, she fell to the floor.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry," a man pleaded. "I-I wasn't watching where I was going. Are you okay?" he asked.
"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, don't worry," she said.
"Here." He offered his hand as she stood up. "I'm so sorry."
"Oh," she chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm fine."
"Okay..."

The two made eye contact and suddenly, Vivien was at a loss for words.

"I, um... thanks," she babbled.
"Thanks?" he laughed. "For what? I was the one who ran into you."
"You made sure I was okay and helped me up so... thanks..."
"Well, it's no problem at all. Considering you could've broken your phone, helping you was the least I could do." He ran his hand through his hair and and smiled widely at her. "I'm Paul." He stuck his hand out.
"Nice to meet you, Paul." She shook his hand and smiled back. "I'm Vivien."