3

"Fuck, my head," I groaned.
"Morning, sleeping beauty," Dan smiled.
"Oh my god, did I finally manage to fuck you?"
"Close, not quite."
"Then why the hell am I in here?"
"Do you remember anything for last night?"
"Bits and pieces."
"Hmm," he hummed.
"Why? What happened?"
"We're getting married, stupid."
"What‽" I yelled.
"Your idea, babe, not mine."
"I don't wanna get married!"
"But you were just so persistent last night," he teased. "Besides, what's so bad about marrying me?"
"I can't fuck other people," I grit my teeth.
"I knew it was too good to be true," he said.
"What was?"
"You. A tall, handsome, successful guy finally coming around to be the slightest bit romantic. It's a shame, really." I bit at my lip as I looked to the pretty boy pacing around the room. "We don't have to stay together. If you want to go, then you can go."
"Dan..."
"Yeah?"
"Can I kiss you?"
"You may."

I got up from the bed and cleared my throat. I lightly rested my right hand on his cheek and eased him into a sweet kiss. I felt him grab the crook of my neck and kiss me deeper. He eventually pulled away and his face lit up a bright cherry red.

"Um... whoa..." he whispered.
"Yeah... whoa... Can I kiss you again?"
"Yes, please."

As he leaned in, someone started knocking on the door. Dan walked over to greet the unexpected guest—low and behold it was Chris.

"Hey, Dan, have you seen Lester?"
"I'm right here. What's up?"
"You two finally shag? Nice."
"No, we–"
"Anyway," Chris cut Dan off, "check out is soon. You guys better hurry."
"We will, thanks." I closed the door and pushed my hair back. "Moods ruined, isn't it?"
"A little," he smirked. "Come on, Phil, we should get going."

Dan initially carpooled to the wedding with a few of the bridesmaids, but he said, for the way back, he'd like to carpool with me. I rolled my eyes and helped him load his belongings into the back of my car.

"So where do you live?"
"Oh, we have to stop at my mum's house. That's where I dropped my car off."
"Yeah, fine, where does she live?"
"I'll plug it into your gps. Just drive."
"Whatever."

I started following the directions back to Dan's mum's house. After about ten minutes of silence, Dan scrolled through my phone to start playing some music. As an old Muse album blasted throughout my car, I glanced over to him and smirked.

"What?" he chuckled.
"Nothing," I shrugged. "Didn't know you liked Muse."
"Yeah, they're one of my favorites."
"Good to know," I grinned.

After another forty minutes or so of driving, I pulled into the future in-law's driveway. I opened the door for Dan so he could get out and lead me to the front porch. He rang the doorbell and waited for his mum to come and answer.

"By the way, my last name is Howell," Dan said.
"Hi, Dan!" the woman cheered.
"Hey, Mum!" Dan pulled her in for a hug and invited me into the house.
"Who's your friend?"
"Mum, this is my fiancé, Phil."
"It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Howell," I said.
"Fiancé? Since when do you have a fiancé? I didn't even know you had a boyfriend."
"Oh, yeah, we've been together for years," he lied.
"Then how come we've never met?"
"Our schedules never lined up. He's a very busy man, Mum."
"What do you do, Phil?"
"I'm a CEO at McKinsey and Company," I said. I looked over to Dan and his face was priceless. He knew I was wealthy, but I didn't think he knew how wealthy I was.
"Wow, ya snagged a good one, Dan," Mrs. Howell praised.
"He sure did," I teased.
"Where's Viv?" Dan asked.
"She's sleeping. Let me go grab her."
"Alright," Dan smiled.

As Dan spoke to his mum, I looked around the decent sized house. There were gorgeous paintings hung across the walls along with countless family portraits.

"You have a brother?" I asked.
"Yep, Adrian. He's a few years younger than me."
"Cool," I nodded.
"What about you?"
"I have a brother named Martyn. Pain in my ass," I said.
"Here she is," Mrs. Howell smiled. I turned my head to find the woman holding a baby. My eyes widened as I took a few steps back.
"That's a baby," I whispered.
"Yeah, isn't she pretty?" Dan beamed. "Hi, pumpkin." He took her in his arms and started rocking her.
"Is that your niece or something?" I mumbled.
"No, this is my daughter."
"What?" I hissed.
"We should get going, Mum. Where's the rest of her stuff?"
"In the mud room, all ready for you."
"Thank you again for watching her. It really means a lot."
"Oh, anytime. You know how much I love her."
"Say bye to my mother," Dan said.
"Bye, Mrs. Howell, it was nice meeting you."
"You as well, dear."

I followed Dan out to his car as he got the infant all set up in her car seat. He clicked the buckles away as he made sure she was safe and sound. I hovered over Dan in hopes that he'd eventually start talking to me.

"Daniel..."
"Yes, Phil?"
"Care to tell me why you didn't inform me of the kid?"
"Her name is Vivien."
"I don't give a rat's ass what her name is. Why didn't you tell me about her? You must know I don't like kids."
"I don't know," he shrugged. "Everyone loves Vivien."
"Pfft," I scoffed.
"You'll learn to like her."
"How'd you even get a kid?"
"Fresh out of college my best friend Michelle wanted a kid. I jokingly told her that we should have one together. After a few years, it wasn't a joke anymore."
"But you're gay."
"That's why we did in vitro."
"How do you have the money for that?"
"She has family money."
"So where's Michelle? How come she didn't take the kid during the wedding?"
"She skipped town after a month or so. Couldn't take the responsibility, I guess." Dan ran his hand over Vivien's tiny, curly head. "She was one of those people who liked kids, in theory."
"So you go and get a guy who just hates them all together. Got it, makes sense." I rolled my eyes.
"Oh, knock it off. Come on, I have to take her home."
"What makes you think I'm following you home?" He pulled me in for a kiss and smiled.
"Let's go, Lester. Live a little."