16

That night, Dan crawled into my hospital bed and cuddled up against the good side of my body. I was barely able to sleep, so I just gently hugged him, and ran my fingers through his hair. Around five in the morning, the nurses began their rounds, and they made their way to me at six.

"Hi, Mr. Lester," my nurse smiled.
"Hi," I whispered. "I don't want to wake my husband, so if you wouldn't mind–"
"No worries. May I see your right arm?"
"Yeah." I lifted it as much as I could to have my blood pressure taken.
"Have you told your husband about your concussion or sprained ankle?"
"No..." She chuckled to herself.
"One-fifty over one hundred. A little high, but that's expected with your medication. Anyway, how's your head feeling?"
"Hurts."
"Ankle?"
"Numb."
"Would you like more pain killers?"
"No, I'm sure I'll be fine."
"Okay." As she finished taking my vitals, I heard a knock at the door. "Come in," I said.
"Oh, Phil..." Jackie sighed. She carried in a sleeping Vivien on her hip with Mr. Howell not far behind her.
"I'm all set in here. I'll be back in three hours, Mr. Lester."
"Thank you," I nodded.
"Oh, dear, how are you feeling?"
"I'm okay. On a lot of drugs, but I'm getting along. Can I see my girl?"
"Of course."

She set the sleepy baby down on my chest and made sure to keep her hands away from my left shoulder. I smiled contently as I placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Thank you for taking her."
"Are you kidding? It was our pleasure. We're both just so glad that you're okay."
"Mm, dada," Vivien stirred. "Dada..." She clutched at my hospital gown as she woke up.
"Hi, pumpkin," I whispered. She sat up, rubbed her eyes, and pouted. "Hi, pretty girl." She continued pouting. "Don't give me that look."
"Kitty?"
"Kitty's okay, don't worry. He's sleepy."
"Phil, would you like us to take her for another night? Since I assume you won't be released for a while."
"Yeah, if Dan doesn't want to go home, I would really appreciate it."
"It's not a problem. Thomas and I are going to go out for breakfast, would you like us to bring you anything?"
"No, thank you though."
"Alright, honey..." She sighed as she picked up her handbag. "We'll be back around noon. Is that okay?"
"Perfect. Thank you."

As Jackie left, Mum came storming into the room. Tears had stained her cheeks as she looked at me in complete disbelief.

"Hi, Mum," I whispered.
"How stupid can you be?"
"I'm sorry?"
"You could have been killed!" she hissed.
"I did what I did to protect Dan and Vivien."
"How so?"
"If I didn't stall, he would have found them sooner and probably kill them. For god's sake, if the police came in a minute later, he would have kicked the door in and murdered my family..."
"Oh god... I-I didn't know..."
"Dada," Vivien whined.
"Yes?" She opened her mouth and I let out a weak chuckle. "Hungry?" She nodded and I rubbed her back. "Mum, can you do me a favor and grab that banana off the table."
"Do you want me to cut it up for her?"
"If you wouldn't mind."

Mum chopped up the fruit and threw the bits into a bowl for the hungry infant. Mum placed it on my chest so the little one could eat. I made sure she only ate one at a time, because she's 'choked' on bananas before. When she was done with each piece, she opened her mouth and waited for me to give her another.

"Such a silly girl," I smiled. "Slow down, pumpkin."
"Philip."
"Yeah, Mum?"
"You know you're all over the news, right?"
"I am?"
"A big CEO, who's gay, might I add, that was shot during a home invasion. Yeah, it's pretty news worthy, darling."
"Shit," I grumbled.
"There was actually a news crew trying to sneak in here, but the nurses wouldn't let them through."
"Good."
"How long do you think you're going to be out of work?"
"I have no idea... Chris is supposed to see me today before he heads into the office to tell me."
"Well then I should probably get going before he–"
"Mm, Phil?" Dan groaned. "Oh, hi, pumpkin." He rubbed Vivien's head as he sat up in bed. "How're you feeling?"
"I'm okay. How'd you sleep?"
"Alright, I guess. Hi, Mrs. Lester."
"Hi, honey. I'm gonna go, dear."
"Bye, Mum."
"Bye," she said as she walked out.
"Can you hold her?" I asked Dan.
"Of course." He grabbed Vivien and her bowl so I could raise the bed.
"Thanks."
"Sure." He set Vivien down between us and brushed her bits of hair back. "What's wrong?"
"Nothings wrong."
"You look upset."
"We're on the news. That's all."
"We're what‽"
"You heard me."
"What the hell? Why in God's name would people care about–"
"Hey, Lester," Chris said as he walked in with PJ. "So, this has to be quick. Someone is replacing you for the next three weeks, so you're off until then."
"Who? Is it one of you two?"
"You'd think," PJ huffed.
"Oh, Peej, how's the baby?" Dan asked.
"He's great, perfect as can be. Anyway, it's that new guy Owen." I rolled my eyes so hard it felt like they were going to roll out of my head.
"Great."
"We're just as pissed as you."
"Is he going back to his old position after I come back?"
"No, they're promoting him to C.O.O. and demoting one of us."
"What? That's a little unfair, don't you think?"
"Yeah... we need you to do something about it," Chris said.
"Don't worry, I'll make a strong case for both of you upon my return. Can you guys do me a favor?"
"I'm already coming in when I'm supposed to be on paternity leave, what more do you want?" PJ teased—I just glared back at him. "Sorry..."
"Anything," Chris tsk'd.
"Try to find any fireable offense against him. I don't care what it is, I just need him fired. Are we clear?"
"Crystal," Chris smirked. "We gotta go. See ya, Lester."
"See ya."