Chapter 5: A New Town, A New Life

"Pack your things, now!" The hobbits were frantically throwing their stuff into their bags. They abandoned their food and a few spices here or there.

"Hurry Hailey! That is one of those black riders!!" Merry is helping me get up, and gives me a shove. We start running for our lives. Suddenly, the silhouette of a horse with its rider appears in the distance.

"Merry! Whats the fastest way across the Brandywine river!?" Frodo yells back at Merry.

Merry looks at me, then to Frodo. "Buckleberry ferry. Follow me!"

He leads us thru the forest, constently avoiding the path whenever it came into view. Suddenly, two of the riders are right behind us, screeching in rage. I fall behind the hobbits, since they are more important than I am in this strange tale, besides its a hallucination, so if I die, then I should wake up. This is nothing but a-

Another black rider appears, shortly followed by a fourth. The ferry, more like a wooden raft if you ask me, comes into view. Merry and Pippen dash ahead, and start untying the boat from the dock. Sam leaps on, and then it is only Frodo and I, running for our lives. But Frodo began to fall behind.

The hobbits start yelling at us to run, that they are gaining on us, so I turn around, grabbing Frodo. The next thing I know, I am sprinting my legs off, trying to get us onto that dang boat. I take a leap of faith, and luckly make it on. 

I am trying to catch my breath, but I have to know one thing. "Merry, where is the nearest bridge crossing." 

Merry looks at me. "The Brandywine Bridge, 20 miles north."

A sigh escapes from between my lips. We have some time, at least, to get ahead of these demonic black riders.  "We must get to Bree as fast as we can. Why are those Black Riders chasing us? Does anybody know?"

Everyboddy looks at Frodo, who looks down at the ring he showed me earlier. "I think this is what their are looking for. Gandalf insisted that I keep it secret and safe." He looks up at me with a frightened face. "I think we should make haste to Bree."

We walk, but with speed, until we came upon the gates of Bree. By the time we arrive, rain is pelting on us. Frodo knocks on their wooden doors, and a man opens first, a window my height, then one the hobbit's height. 

"What do you want, and where do you come from?" The Gatekeeper asks gruffly.

"We are heading to the Prancing Pony, coming from the east. Our buisness is our own." Frodo replied stiffly.

"Hobbits! Four Hobbits, and a lady. By the way you talk, you must be Shire folk. Ah well, what can I do to stop five young and weary travelers? In you go lads." He closes the window, and moments later, the gate opens. 

We step into Bree on a path made mostly of mud, due to the vast amount of rain that was pouring down on us.  There were few people on the streeets, and anybody who was out, was rushing into some building or another.

We walk along the main path until Merry perks up and says, "Look Frodo! There it is, The Prancing Pony." And sure enough, a little ways down the road, there was a sign with "The Prancing Pony" painted onto it. 

The Prancing Pony, if I do say so myself, isn't exactly a safe... ahh. Haven. It isn't exactly a safe haven for travellers such as ourselves. I mean, we were carrying something wanted by those demony things, right? When we first walk in, there are men, and one or two hobbits, everywhere. All of which were drinking, or were already drunk. And, to be quite honest, I swear that someof these people had  to be criminals of somesort. 

Anyway, when we walk in, we are greeted by the deskclerk/bar keeper man. "Good evenin' little masters! What would four fine Hobbits suchas yourseleves be doing here in Bree? If your looking for a place to stay, I have a couple nice, hobbit sized rooms, available." The man gestured to Frodo, "And what might be your name, young master?"

Frodo paused before answering. "Underhill. Frodo Underhill. We are looking for Gandalf the Grey, can you tell him we've arrived?" I glance down at Frodo, who was looking quite nervous. Underhill? Why Underhill?

Merry pulls me down to his height, "Baggins is who those black riders are looking for, I think." Well then.

The Innkeeper looks at us with a sense of familiarality, "Gandalf? Long gray beard, Big pointy hat?" He smiles and nods his hand like he is remembering who Gandalf is. "I haven't seen him around for six months."

Frodo looks at us, panic and confusion appearing on his face. We walk over to an empty table and sit. Drinks are served to us by the waitress, but Merry refues one and leaves somewhere.

He comes back shortly with a mug of beer. "What is that?" Pippen asks.

Merry looks from Pippen, back to his mug, "This, my friend, is a pint."

Pippens eyes widen, "It comes in pints? I'm getting one." With that, Pippen gets up and heads towards the bar. That is when I notice a dark figure, sitting in the corner of the bar, his hood up, and covered by shadow. 

"Frodo." I say causiously, "That man in the corner. I think he's been looking at you for  a while."

Frodo turns a looks at him, swallowing hard. He pulls the innkeeper over. "Who's that man, hiding in the shadow?"

The Innkeeper glances up at the man. "That is one of them wandering folk, the  Dunadain rangers from the north. Around here, he's known as Strider."

Thank you so much for reading chapter five!! I promise, it will get WAYY more interesting in these next chapeters, so please keep reading!!!