Chapter Seven

I listened and understood JT's rants and lectures and panics about what just happened. "Well, Congratulations 'coz now we've got "her" at our door!"

I was not able to stop myself and I blurted out. "Yeah, well, I didn't know it was gonna be her case, did I?" Oppsss. Wrong choice of words.

" 'Her case.' Wh… wha… Have you been keeping tabs on her?"

And that was it. I got a little pissed and let my frustrations known. I mean, I was not complaining but sometimes my night strolls helped me feel that I still have a life somehow. And last night, the woman was in danger and I tried to help her but I was too late and left her at a hotel instead.

I had not given up in finding the cure. But sometimes, it was frustrating every time I try the cure and it did not work… Ugh! I did not want to say it but it seemed like it was hopeless. And it was difficult to accept that this was going to be my life.

JT finally got my point but he had always the last thing to say. "...but if Catherine Chandler starts asking questions, alerting Muirfield that you're alive, we'll both dead, man. And I don't mean a piece of paper dead. DEAD. Like dead, dead."

****************************************************************************

I had to admit that the pandemonium happened earlier today made me feel a bit scared. JT was right. What if Muirfield tracked us? We had been in hiding for almost ten years and this was our only sanctuary. And Catherine… she found me. Well, almost. Should I be glad that she did? But I would not expect they were going to bother us again. They had been investigating couple of suspects that linked to the victim. I hoped they would find the killer.

Well… what a day this had been. Good because she was here. Bad because I gave JT a heart attack. I should rest.

****************************************************************************

I must have been really tired since I woke up late today. I went downstairs for a toothbrush and JT was nowhere to be found. Yeah, school day.

I heard a car door slammed shut. Was JT just about to leave? I further listened to the footsteps. I washed my mouth and ran upstairs because I heard Catherine again.

"NYPD. Got a warrant. Mr. Forbes?"

"Mr. Forbes?" Oh no, no. Catherine was coming upstairs. What should I do?

"Mr. Forbes?! I know you're up here. I can hear you."

Oh, God. It was really her. "He's teaching class." Shit. Did I just say that? I thought so because she took her gun ready to shoot me if I was not going to show myself. Shit. I did not have a choice.

"You're Vincent Keller. You look pretty good for a dead guy."

****************************************************************************

I explained how and why they found my DNA at the crime scene. I told her their victim was poisoned which her colleague confirmed. And the question that I was not expecting and tried my best not to answer came up. Instinctively, my eyes moved to the table where the clip was and Catherine saw it.

"Why do you have that?" I did not answer. "I need to know why you have that" She looked pissed. Thanks to her partner that saved me for more questions. What I did was beg her not to tell anyone about me.

"We're not done here." She warned me and they left.

****************************************************************************

Was this good or bad? Seeing Catherine I mean. Would I see her again? I heard her clearly when she said, "we're not done here." So I guessed that meant I would, right? Ugh! I could not stop thinking about her. I needed to see Catherine.

She got in her car and left the precinct when I arrived. Did they resolve the case already? Where was she going? I followed her. I had run a lot lately. Whether from building to building or running upstairs at the warehouse. I did twice when she came over.

The train station? Why here? Did it had something to do with the victim? I was not feeling good about this.

I saw Catherine talking to a man with a briefcase. "Oh… I wouldn't wanna be the reason you were late on your son's birthday."

He chuckled. "Did you bring it with you?" The man asked her and she got something from her pocket. Bring what? What was she giving him? Did she say corrupted? Was she giving him my DNA?

The next thing I saw was the man holding a knife tried to kill her but Catherine was able to give him some karate moves and kicks. Then another guy came behind her and they fought hard and she killed one of them. The older guy received two or three punches from her that brought his nose to bleed. Catherine had taken down two guys. I thought it was over but a woman came out and they fought hard. Catherine missed her step and fell down the tracks. She could not move and one of the bad guys was about to pull the trigger. No way. I did what I needed to do and threw them both to the tracks. In front of Catherine. I looked at her and she gave me that stare again. Not the scared look but the curios look. I kicked her gun to her way and ran down the train tracks to hide.

****************************************************************************

Catherine followed me and I heard her calling my attention. "Hey! Hey! I know you're down here. Come out! Come out! Hey, come out here! I know you're here. I know you can see me!"

It was too late for me to know that a train was coming our way. I grabbed her and pinned her to the side and used my body to protect her. When it was over, she turned around and studied my face. Her face so close to mine. Breathing heavily, she recognized me. "You're him."

****************************************************************************

I did not know if it was a good idea that I brought her home. Catherine had bruised her knees that needed attention. I thought that was a good excuse to be with her.

I realized how stubborn she was because she wanted to know everything. As much as I wanted her not to get involve with my situation, I told her about my brothers, how they died. I told her about my vengeance. Afghanistan. Muirfield. I could sense she felt sad for me. Pity. She reminded me that I saved her.

I guessed I told her more than I should because Catherine started to ask questions about Muirfield and its connection to her mom which I did not know how. Those questions made me uneasy and I told her to leave and not to come back. This had been a long day.

****************************************************************************

I told you she was a stubborn woman.

Catherine came back and told me that some Military guys came to the precinct and took the agents from the platform. Questioning was really a part of her job because that was what she did which she should not have. I explained everything that I could on how dangerous she gotten herself into. I got mad of her stubbornness and I beasted out in front of her. Yes. She saw me in my beast form. She ran because I scared her. I hoped.

****************************************************************************

I did not want anyone's life in danger because of me. JT already was. I did not want that for Catherine. However, she showed up again at the warehouse and she looked beautiful on that red dress. I remembered we said "Hi" to each other and I totally forgot that JT was there. I asked JT for a space for Catherine and I. I was mesmerized by how beautiful she was. She came by and explained herself why she kept asking about her mom. She felt responsible for her death. I told her she was not the reason. Muirfield was but I did not know how or why. She reminded me again that I saved her life. Twice. And that I was not a monster.

****************************************************************************

It was her father's engagement party. I watched her as she spent the party with her family and friends. But I could still see sadness on her face. I hoped she would be okay. At least now, Catherine knew she was not the reason her mother died.

I was somehow satisfied by looking after her from afar. But after everything that had happened these past few days, I considered that I could do more than that.