Chapter Twenty-One

Catherine

Vincent was engaged or he could still be.

Was New York that small? Why did it have to be her? I was talking about Vincent's fiancée who was my attending nurse. Her name was Alex Salter. How did she know a tall doctor with a scar on his face visited me? Did she saw Vincent earlier? Could any nurse tell another nurse about the visitors of their patients and how they look like? That did not sound right. I did not sound right, either. Was I jealous?

And this Vincent Keller… Could he not understand my text? I told him it was not safe to come back to the hospital! I did not want Alex to see him again. It was for his own protection. From his enemies and now from... her.

I should not have asked about Alex but if you only saw her face when she approached me. She was totally devastated. Even after ten years, she was not over him yet. She was shaking in tears while telling me about the doctor she saw was supposed to be dead and with the same name with the person I love. Vincent Keller.

I was a detective. So a search about Alex was expected for me to do. I did not like the idea of her showing up but after checking her records (thanks to Tess for insisting to use the NYPD database). There were reports of someone following her, hacked her emails, wiretapping, breaking and entering… I somehow thought of her safety. She took good care of me and I owed her that.

I needed to tell Vincent but you know what… scratch that. I did not have to because he was not at home. In fact, he was with Alex. But I remembered when he sneaked me earlier to a room and told me about her, as if it was nothing. Like it was no big deal that Alex saw him. I mean he even said "She saw a ghost." Then he was with her? I did not get it.

Okay. My purpose was to make sure that Alex was okay and safe. Asking me why would not work because I did not know either. Maybe because she had a past with Vincent? Or maybe the fact that she was or she could still be Vincent's fiancée or maybe I wanted to know about her? Uh… Was this the effect of too much dosage of medicines?

She had a stalker indeed. I saw him with my own eyes. He grabbed her on the alley. Good thing I had the gun with me and fired a shot. The asshole ran away.

I had a fractured rib cage and needed to rest but look what I was doing. I was not sure what I was trying to prove but… Oh no. I was digging my own grave.

Vincent did see her. He even told Alex about me. And guess what I was to him? A handler. And oh, she calls her "Vince."

It was a double jeopardy. She allowed me to check in her closet that might help find any trace of her stalker. And looked what I found. A box of letters and photos of them. Okay. I was not sure if it was right. It was just… I was already there. I needed to know and I did. It was painful looking at them very happy and in love. A planned wedding was on the way as soon as he came back from Afghanistan. Vincent loved Alex. He loved her.

I did not like Vincent Keller at that moment but when I found this photo… I smiled. He was on a beach and he had the most beautiful smile. I took it. A souvenir maybe?

I remembered my new nickname. Handler. Really? I wanted to punch Vincent on the face.

And there I was at the precinct asking Evan to help me find Alex's stalker while I left Vincent in her apartment. Just the two of them. Together.

Alex had a great plan on how to catch her stalker. Since he had access to her email, she created a fake one about her going away with the person she loves. That way that would draw the perp out until we get him. It was really awkward for the three of us together. Every time she said the word "in love" or "the guy I love", she looked at Vincent and then he would look at me. I wanted to punch him so hard on the face.

The plan did not really turn out well. Vincent killed him. Another incident I had to cover up. I was the hero. And Vincent was her hero. He saved her and when I saw them kissed… my whole world just crashed. He still loved her.

I protected Alex because I thought it was the right thing do. Because that was what Vincent wanted to do.

Things between Vincent and I were doing great. I mean we were on the right track. That was what I thought until Alex showed up. We might have not talk about what we had but we were getting there. There means… Us. Together. Vincent and Catherine.

Maybe this was just a test to help us understand what we really feel. I love Vincent. I do and I hoped he feels that. I was also at fault because I was scared of moving forward with him. I just thought or I knew there will be changes with Alex showing up and I did not want to be an option.

And when Vincent looked down just after I asked him to look me in the eye and tell me if he no longer had feelings for her… I got the picture.