Chapter Fourteen

I felt the green-eyed or should I say amber-eyed monster taking over me.

I had watched over Catherine Chandler for the last decade. I had seen her fall in and out of a relationship several times. I must admit it annoyed me when she was dating someone but this time... It felt different. It felt like... it was more serious. Maybe because I had finally introduced myself and that she should spend more time with me? That sounded selfish. It did not mean I saved her, I owned her, right? Or maybe I did. Maybe I wanted Catherine to be mine. Nah.

I isolated myself on the rooftop at home to think things over before seeing Catherine. How would I... What would I say to her? Oh, man. I felt like I was a teenager in love. The memory of seeing her kissing someone else gave me furrowed brows. How could I compete with him? He was the normal, decent guy. I lived in the dark shadows.

The night sky full of stars was lovely tonight. I hoped this day would end as lovely as it was.

I waited for the perfect timing to make my presence known. She sounded busy talking to her partner over the phone. Were they planning to go out tonight? She looked pretty on that dress.

I guess I deserved this. I pushed her away first. Tonight was her turn to brush me away. I told her I was not feeling good. That was the truth, right? I did not make it for dinner because I was sick. But then... I also told her she could kiss anyone... that we were not... and for the second time, I did not stood her up!

Where did her sarcasm and bitterness came from? She really sounded very disappointed. Of me. Did she felt the same way then? She mentioned about our connection like it was fate and destiny that brought us back together but found "US" complicated. If this was fate and destiny then why did she kissed that guy? Alcohol? Come on! Could I bring that up? But then there was a knock on the door. Damn it.

I knew now his name. Evan.

"I thought you're on a case tonight? But you have a date with him?" I sounded upset. I hoped she realized that.

"Excuse me?!" She was shocked by my interrogation as did I.

"I mean... I..."

"If you'll excuse me, it's just my date."

And she confirmed. I left before she had the chance to see me leave.

This Evan guy was already up to his limits.

I did left her apartment but stayed on the fire escape to check on them. What if there would be another kiss? Could I storm in and stop them? I wondered how both of them would react, especially Catherine. I was sure she would kick my ass. Haha. The idea made me grin.

Kidding aside, I was marveling on what I was trying to say to her minutes ago. I defended myself for not coming to dinner but I never said anything about what I felt for her. In fact, she said something about our connection. Was that where her sarcasm and bitterness came from? Then this Evan guy ruined the night.

He was going out with her. Working and dating in one. Smart ass.

Seeing them together... Working. Dating. Whatever they wanted to call it. I should do something.