Chapter Twent-Four

Vincent

What would you do if you were given another chance to live the life that you yearned for so long?

Should Alex need to know what really happened to me? She knew that I was in hiding. She knew that I was in danger and that there were people who wanted me dead. That was all she needed to know. I was sure she understood the urgency of my safety. Nobody else should know that I was still alive. She did not have to know where I live. I could stay at her place sometimes and work together in this secret clinic. Sounds like a plan, right?

In a perfect world, it could happen. We could live our lives in secret. No dates. No movies. No children. We could not have the family that we planned. The question was… Was this what she wanted? Would she be okay to live the life that I had now?

And I could not ignore the fact that I was a mutating beast. Anything could happen to me at any time. The changes in me were uncontrollable. I even had a new perk or talent, if that was what you want to call it. Night visions. So cool, huh? But what I had been through before this talent of mine came up was not a walk in a park. Black outs. Terminator episodes. Catherine and JT had a hard time looking after me. Would Alex do the same?

Sooner or later, Alex had to know the truth. Then I had to tell her about Muirfield, what they did to me and who knew she would look them up and put her life at risk. Just like JT and Catherine. And when she did know about me being like this... Would she still accept me of who or what I had become?

There was only one person that could control me. The only person who accepted me and the beast in me. She never was afraid of me. She had seen the worst in me. Catherine… she had been there for me. Her life had never been the same since she found out about me. I had put her in danger and risked her job to protect me. And this was not just one time but several times. How long could she handle me being like this? How much longer could I expect Catherine to put up with all of this?

I was trying not to choose. I would not want to. I did not have to. But I had this chance to start a new beginning and that was all I ever wanted.

"The sooner we could get out of here, the sooner we could start living."

Alex proposed to me. Well, not marriage. Technically, we are still engaged, weren't we? No. No. Sorry. Irrelevant thoughts.

Alex told me about this mobile medical team that works in remote areas in Nigeria. They travelled from village to village helping people who need medical care. She said she was ready to leave New York and never come back. She wanted to leave with me. We could go together. We could start a new life away from here. The idea did not have to be a fantasy, right? Should I choose this path?

"Vincent?"

I was wordless when I heard her voice on the other line. I did not know who else to call. JT was not picking up his phone.

"Catherine, I need your help. I think I'm getting arrested." I was such an idiot.

Alex and I were having a bit of fun on an ice skating rink talking about the life we could have if we leave the country for good. Unfortunately, we went in unauthorized that led us into a big trouble. Alex might find it a silly thing and just a minor offense but she did not know the consequence if I would give out my name to the police officer. I did not have a driver's license or any ID to show them. How could a dead guy have one?

I was pissed off when the officer was forcing me to give my name. I felt my eyes changed and my hands into claws. I almost lost my temper but I felt Catherine's arrival and it stopped me from turning. She always does that. I mean, she calms down the beast within me.

But I was scared when I saw her got out from her car. I could see her anger and more pissed than I was. Catherine and the officer had an argument because she did not let him ran through her badge. She just showed it to him. I was so sorry for the police officer to hear those awful and rough words from Catherine but I knew those words were for me.

And it did not end there. I felt more of her anger when I tried my best to calm her down. Catherine took advantage again of her position to save my ass. I was so sorry. I lost control when I thought of what would happen if I was taken in. Catherine was the only one who could protect me.

I walked Alex home but no words were spoken. I left as soon as I got there. I just needed time alone with my own thoughts.

From one disappointment to another. I was sure Catherine would shoot me if she could.

Catherine was beyond upset. Aside from rescuing me from the police officer, I was taped and she had to find a way to cover that up too. I had nothing else to say but I was so sorry for my actions. I was overwhelmed. I had forgotten the real world for a while.

"If you wanna figure out if you can get your old life back, that's fine. But it doesn't erase the life that you have now. You have to figure out what you want because if you're not gonna protect yourself, maybe it's time that I rethink the risks that I had taken to protect you."

Those words were haunting me. It kept echoing in my head. This was what I was afraid of. Catherine was about to give up on me. She had been patient and waited for me for almost a month and I had not given her any answer. Instead, I gave her these headaches and put up with my shit. Now, but I hope not, she was going to abandon me.

Would Catherine be better off without me? If I leave, she could have her life back. Her normal life back. She would no longer worry about me, about my safety. She did not have to put her job and life in danger anymore just to protect me.

The way I see things now… I think I lost Catherine.

That moment when you already made a decision and ready to stand for it, then wonderful things that could alter your judgment took place.

She wanted to be with me. Could you believe that? Catherine wanted to be with me! She was willing to fight and would not give up on us before we even started.

But then… Okay. I was trying to weigh things here the right way.

Ugh! This was difficult to write. But how much more saying it to Catherine?

I love Catherine. I knew I love her. JT knows that. Catherine knew that too, right?

But if I would like to live the life that I wanted, the life that I missed, I knew it would not be with Catherine. She had her life here. Her family. Her friends. She had her job here and she was good at it. I did not think she could make a decision of giving up all those to be with me. Would she?

But Alex would. She was willing to give her life up to go with me. Away somewhere from all of this so I could be free. But would all of this… Would all the things I planned would end up just a fantasy when Alex knew the truth? I was not sure... unless I would give it a try?