Chapter Eighteen

I woke up with a big smile on my face.

I had never been this happy in my life. Although, it was not a walk in the park these past few months with Catherine and there were several ups and downs. But these made us stronger and with that we earned our trust for each other.

It was just 7AM. She might still be in bed. I would like to wake her up myself.

The window was open. Was she expecting me?

I peeked through the window and I chuckled when I saw her sleeping face. So cute. I did not want to disturb her so I stayed outside and sat on the window sill with my back on her. The warmth of the sun on my skin felt so good. It made me feel like I was alive. I sensed she was awake and I looked back. She looked at me with one eye open and gave me her beautiful smile after adjusting her view. "Vincent."

I smiled as I heard her say my name. "Good morning."

"Hey… why are you up so early?"

"It's a good day. I don't want to miss it."

She smiled. "By the way, I forgot to mention about the girl that you saved from being mugged? SJU, right? I traced reports for the last two weeks but no filed cases from the crime scene or from the university." I continued to listen. "The perp… if he was alive and just had some bruises, he could have gone to the hospital or treat it himself. He doesn't have the right to file a case, anyway. A co-worker checked the scene and no signs of someone died or any stains of blood. So, I guess we will just let it go?"

I nodded. I did not know what to say. I was so grateful to have her protecting me.

"About the girl…" Uh-oh. Where was this going? I gave her a blank stare. She looked down and stared at her hands. "Was she… what…" I was waiting for her to finish her sentence. "Nah… nevermind."

"Catherine, what is it?"

"No… twas nothing. Forget it."

"Wait... Are you being jealous?" I grinned.

Her eyes widened. "Of course, not! No. Never."

"Never?" I teased.

"Oh! Time to take a shower. I don't wanna be late for work." Catherine stood up and grabbed her robe and towel.

Nice try, Catherine. "Really? Okay. Can I wait here?"

"No. It's okay. You don't have to."

"Okay. Have a good day at work." I walked toward the window for my exit.

"You do the same." She smiled and closed her bathroom door.

The conversation that Catherine and I had earlier was kind of amusing. I did not know why. I could not explain it. Maybe because it had been years since I had this feeling. What feeling, anyway? Aahhh! I refused to say the word.

I thought of Alex. I did not want to be unfair to her. I would not deny that I was happy during our time. Unfortunately, fate had been cruel to us. Things had changed. A lot. Cliché but everything happens for a reason, right?

The day went by so fast. I did not want to discuss what I did today. It was boring anyway. To see Catherine again before the day ends would be wonderful.

Call me Vincent Zalanski.

I stayed at my favorite spot of Catherine's apartment while waiting for her and Heather to finish their discussion about their dress and their father's wedding. I giggled a couple of times while listening to their conversation. I knew they were excited for this event. And what was "Bridesmaid and up" even mean?