Chapter Twenty-Nine

Vincent

I was sitting on her fire escape for I did not know how long. I just wanted to stay there even if I was alone.

Catherine went out with her sister and her best friend. She deserved to have fun and maybe to forget me. I did not want her to move on without me. I was really sorry that I had to hurt her for me to realize everything. Just like I told her before she left, I would do whatever it takes to make this right. Even if she said there was nothing I could do, I would be willing to pay for what I did.

I waited and waited for them to come home. It was already three in the morning and they were still out. I wondered what bar they went to. Finally, I heard Heather laughing as she opened the main door. I listened to Catherine giggled. I started to move and sat on the window sill. Thirty minutes had passed and they were still in the living room. Then I heard Heather's door closed. I could hear my heart beating fast. I swallowed my anxiousness. I knew she would open the door any minute. Ten minutes later, she was nowhere. I could not help it and I went in and sat on her bed. I waited and waited. I heard nothing. Silence.

I got worried and slowly opened her door. Lights were out. They were not in the living room anymore. I closed her door and went out of the window, passed through the fire escape and slowly peeked in the other window. And there they were. Sleeping like a baby.

I smiled. Maybe I would try again tomorrow. Good night, ladies.

I woke up late with obvious reasons. I joined JT for a late breakfast.

"Were you home last night? I didn't notice."

"Morning, JT. I went home really late. I was with… Catherine."

"Woah! She forgave you that easily? Man, that woman is all over you."

"Actually not. Not anymore. I was just there but we didn't talk. I mean, we did before she went out with her sister and her friend. Then I waited for her to come home but she ended up sleeping at her sister's room."

"Smart move. I mean, no offense, man. You broke her heart big time."

Hell, I did.

I left the warehouse the moment I saw the darkness in the sky. I did nothing for the day but waited until I get to see her again. I tried calling her. Of course, she was not answering.

My excitement died down when I reached her fire escape. The window was locked and the curtains were drawn. I tried knocking several times. No answer. I checked on Heather's room. No one was home.

Her window was always open. It was like an invitation for me. But not until tonight. Was she shutting me out for good?

I waited for another two hours. I heard the door opened and Catherine was talking on the phone. I think it was her partner inviting Catherine to date another friend. But she refused. Good. I knocked on the window when the call ended. Silence. I heard nothing. The lights went out. The door closed.

I sighed. Maybe I would try again tomorrow.

There was never a day that I did not tried to text her and call her. I even tried using JT's phone but no good. I waited by her car one time but she went back in the precinct as soon as she saw me. I wanted to knock at their front door but I was afraid Heather might open it.

I waited around her fire escape alone every day before sunrise and after sunset. But she never answered the knocks on her window. I missed her voice, her laugh, her smile, her smell. I missed Catherine so much.

Sometimes, I would be on the rooftop of the building right across her apartment. I could not see her though. The curtains were drawn.

I followed her at the park while having her weekend jog but I chickened out. I did not know how to approach her anymore. I guessed I was now afraid of Catherine.

"Try and try until you succeed." I heard JT said that once when I came home late again.

Waiting in vain? I would not even care. I would still keep my promise. I was not going anywhere. I had done this for nine years without her knowledge. I could wait forever.