Chapter Twenty-Six

Vincent

"Vincent, you haven't told her. And until you do, isn't all of this… just a fantasy?"

Catherine Chandler left more than an hour ago but I had not moved an inch from where I was. She left me again with words that bewildered me. You know, she seemed to do that recently since Alex came back. Our conversation in her apartment when she took my photo, when I almost got arrested and now this. Like thoughts to ponder.

Okay. I think I got it. Catherine was trying in her own way to help me make the right decision. She did not tell me what to do. Instead, she would tell me what she thought was best of the situation then let me realize on my own what I should do.

But I already made my decision, had I not? I did not really choose Alex. I chose the things that came along with her. I did not want to sound like a broken record but I really, really wanted to start a new, peaceful life. And I thought it could happen.

JT got home and that brought me back to my senses.

"Everything okay?" I looked at him but said nothing. "What's going on? What happened?" Now I made him worried.

"I'm okay, JT." I lied.

"Good. If you'll ask me, I'm not." Now I was worried, too. "I came across with Evan Marks. Well, not that I did but he found out about my research on your DNA and that led him to me. I'm sure you know him." He checked on me if I was still listening. "So… I'm not really helping him. I'm just there to be "there" for his thing. In fact, I might be able to find new information about your DNA, with their high-tech equipment, that is. So… don't worry, I'm still on your side."

I smiled. "Thanks, JT and… I'm sorry for all the troubles."

"I already know that, big guy."

Things were getting out of hand. Evan's involvement might complicate the situation. He already had my DNA. What if this new team up with JT would easily find me? I know, I know. JT was on my side and I hoped he would always be.

I stopped counting the days from the last time I saw Catherine. Yeah, yeah. I did not have the balls to face her. Not after everything had been said and done. So, I thought of dropping by to at least see her from a distance.

I remembered during their dad's wedding that I was Vincent Zalanksi. Now, I got a new name. Ass. Heather just called me an ass. There was a knock on the door and Heather thought it might be me and I kind of chuckled at Catherine's response. "It's not him. He doesn't knock."

What the hell was Alex doing in Catherine's apartment? And what cabin trip?

I could not believe it. Alex asked her permission first before telling me about her plans for this weekend. I knew her intentions were good but… Oh, man. She should not have to. I just did not want to make things harder between me and Catherine. Dammit.

Oh yeah, she was mad. She even rolled her eyes at me and what does "cold turkey" even mean? Was that a woman kind of thing?

It was a cold morning. I waited for Catherine in the park. It was the weekend. I knew it was her jogging schedule. Same day at the same time but seemed like she was not glad to see me. Well, after what I did, I should have expected that but I came to apologize about Alex going over to her place to ask for her approval for the said trip.

Last night, I went to Alex's place after her surprise visit to Catherine. Of course, she opened up about the cabin trip but I did not talk about her going to Catherine. Not yet. Somehow, I thought it would be a good plan. It could be a chance to tell Alex the truth about me.

Again, I chose this path so I could get out of this world. This would not be about hurting Catherine or choosing Alex over her. I just could see myself practicing medicine again. This cabin trip might also answer or make my decisions clearer.

I knew Catherine was worried about me changing or losing control if ever I feel threatened and might hurt Alex. Catherine was the only one that could calm me down but I would never hurt Alex and it would be just the two of us in a cabin upstate. It would be in a remote location away from the city. No cameras, not much of people. I did not see any danger at all that could threaten me or us.

I apologized if I somehow raised my voice at her. Her voice was also higher than her normal. But I should understand her anger. I was the one who put her in this situation anyway.

I was a bit hurt. I was actually waiting for her to stop me from going. Maybe get her opinion or maybe some thoughts to ponder. Ugh! I was acting like a woman. I think she was trying to stop me or was I too blind to see it? Tsk. I guessed she no longer cared about me anymore.

Please give me a sign if this would be the right path to take.

I was kind of drained justifying my decisions. All I wanted was to tell Alex everything and talk about our plans on moving forward. I thought the cabin was the perfect place but yeah even though I tried to get away, they still found me.

Yes, Muirfield was at the cabin. They found us through a bug from Alex's apartment. Now, she was involved with this mess and I still had not told her the truth! And it took her to witness how I ripped those men from Muirfield apart for her to understand what I had tried to say all this time.

Catherine was right. I got caught up in this fantasy. Let me now go back to my real world.

If not for Catherine, I did not know what could have happened since Muirfield tracked us. I was so glad she was there after all the stupid things I had done to hurt her. I was such an ass.

Catherine was never a second choice. It was never about taking off with Alex. It was about a better future for me. Oh, man. I was exhausted of justifying my actions. I knew I was at fault. I made the wrong move.

I told you I really suck in making decisions. Now, I lost the most important person who had seen me at my worst and knew the darkest part of me and still had not run. But I guessed this time… she did.

I got the sign and that was losing Catherine.