Chapter Thirty-Nine

Catherine

I shrugged myself as I open the door of my apartment. I was not sure why I did. Reflexes, I guessed. Maybe I was not ready yet. Not ready for what? To come home? Or maybe I was afraid that this apartment had lots of memories of me and Vincent… of me and Tess.

But I had to face my fears, right?

So, let me get started.

I had lost count on how many times I dialed the number. I sounded like a broken record, leaving several voice mail messages. But I never heard anything back. She really was mad. Yes, Tess. Who do you think I was trying to reach? Vincent?

Well… I had not heard anything from Vincent as well since I had my vacation. Maybe it was for the best. We both needed the time apart to think things over.

Healty, right?

I was not sorry to be alone.

First day back at work sucked. I was on desk duty for the next two weeks until they find me a new partner. I had seen Tess a couple of times and she was quite busy for the day and had no time to even glance at me. Sigh. Sucked that Tess had moved on while I was engaged with filing papers and sharpening pencils. But, yeah. I could get used to this. Still, this day sucked.

It was no big deal. I live alone, remember? What bothered me was that I got nothing to do at work. THAT I could not get used to. I was trying to keep myself busy and pay attention to more important things besides having personal issues.

Oh, well.

Weather was crazy cold today.

…and slow. It seemed like I had done all the chores I could think of but still the time was way before bedtime. Should I rearrange the living room? Ugh! I was not bored. I just wanted to be pre-occupied with something. Sharpening pencils and filing documents at work was not helpful at all.

Ice cream, a blanket and TV might help me solve being restless tonight.

It did for a while and then I had this strange feeling like there was this pull I had not felt for a long time.

What was I even doing here? And with this weather?

The view of the city was beautiful up here. I could see snow everywhere. I had not been on the rooftop ever since… nevermind.

I sneezed. Oops!

"Somebody better get inside before she catches cold."

I turned around to see who it was and I smiled.