Chapter Nineteen

I was not feeling well.

Maybe I woke up at the wrong side of the bed because I was grumpy today. I did not eat breakfast with JT. I just stayed in bed. I heard him called me a couple of times but I pretended to sleep. The event this weekend was really a big deal for me, huh? It affected me that much since I was not allowed to go. Oh, well.

I finally got out of bed and scavenged for food. It seemed like I had the place to myself. I needed distractions.

I got several. Dishes, laundry, cleaning… it looked like I was JT's wife. He was the one working and earning money while I stayed home and do household chores.

The wedding. Today. Tsk. More distractions, please.

Push/pull ups, punching bag and skipping rope for the next two hours did not help. I got bored and decided to check the crime scene of the case I gave to Catherine. I had to make myself useful.

Catherine was right. The powerful couple had some monkey business. And with the red particle I found in the hotel room which according to Catherine was a red polish, we were able to identify who killed Mendel. That woman even found a date for Catherine and called her while I was eyeing the dating form in her bag. Good news was… Catherine said no to the date. Yesss! That felt better.

That made me thought of someone who could go with Catherine to the wedding. Not me, unfortunately. I did not want to force myself anymore and get frustrated again. Someone for Catherine that have no strings, no risks. Dun duh duh dun… JT Forbes! Good idea, right? Both had no choice. She needed to bring someone. He said yes because of the good food.

I walked Catherine to her car. Honestly, I wanted to spend more time with her tonight. Tomorrow would be the big day. A busy day for her and her family. I was sure she did not have time for me. They did not want me to come, remember? I did not want her to stay up late so I would rather stay at home.

When she got in the car, I knocked on the window on the passenger side. The window rolled down and I leaned my head into the car.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come to the wedding?" I asked for the last time.

"Vincent, I'm fine going alone to dad's wedding and besides you already found me a date. I'll see you after?" Catherine promised.

"Okay." I said wryly. "Is that a car headlight coming?" She looked to her left and I took the dating form in her bag. "Oh. It might be something else."

Catherine chuckled. "You are seeing things. Stay out of trouble!" And she drove off.

I looked forward to her promise.

Well, I was a doctor. I no longer drink. Not anymore. I did a lot of work out, hell yes.

I was reading Catherine's dating profile and somehow her preferences referred to me. I might have misunderstood what was written but… Strike one.

Personality traits I'm looking for in a partner: Strong, Vulnerable, Intelligent, Heroic. This is really sappy, so I can't believe I'm saying this: Even though I don't need anyone to protect me, I appreciate a guy who cares enough about me to try.

Hmmm. That was what I did, right? That was what I had done since the night I saved her. Protecting her. Also, she once told me I was a superhero. That made me heroic then? I was strong, no doubt about it. Vulnerable, definitely. Intelligent? Yeah, just made some bad decisions. Strike two.

I was too overwhelmed from the beautiful things I was reading that I had not notice JT being worried about going to the wedding with no idea of ER medicine and the fake Denver life of Vincent Zalanski.