Chapter Ten

For the past decade, I kept myself in the dark and left everything behind. So, it really felt good to communicate with another human being besides JT. I mean, JT is….. J.T. But Catherine… she was different. She understood my pain but I was not hundred percent sure though in terms of trust. What if she would soon realize that I was a danger to society? And as JT always reminded me that she was a cop, she put people like me away. I was just so glad that we had a fresh start. I hoped.

****************************************************************************

Besides hanging out on rooftops to gather my thoughts, I liked working out, too. Although, running was still on top of my list as the best exercise for body and mind but I could no longer do that. So, push/pull ups was a good alternative and since I was using force, it helped me feel stronger and more determined on how to deal with life.

"Another special delivery for you, big guy!"

JT handed me a small piece of paper and it read 'Hi! How are you?' I held back my smile. I did not want JT to make fun of me. "You know that cop is really... I don't know... She is beyond describing! Can't she understand she is putting us in jeopardy?! And herself, too!"

Hell, yeah. I told Catherine that several times.

"So... you and Catherine have decided to keep in touch." he sort of stressed the phrase 'keep in touch'.

"Carefully." I assured him. I almost laughed to JT's comparison of him to a carrier pigeon passing notes but I paid attention to someone coming.

"What note? You already wrote her back?" JT asked in disappointment.

Catherine came over about the note I left her at the apartment. Earlier today, I went to check on her however she was working on a hit and run case. I knew the woman they placed in custody was innocent because I saw her around 4PM in 123rd street. The same time the "accident" occurred. I just thought Catherine should know. I was trying to help in any way that I could.

"Okay. We're all gonna die. I'm taking a tums."

This was what JT was afraid of. Recruiting another life to join us as we live in fear and in danger. But after what happened these past two weeks where Catherine almost got killed by Muirfield, I needed to protect her under my wings. Especially now that she knew I exist. I did not want her to share the same fate as her mother's.

****************************************************************************

I thought I made myself clear when I told her today that 'I'm not Batman. I don't watch over the citizens of New York.' I could not help her with her case then why was she here again tonight?

Catherine needed my help. She found two sisters of their suspect and one of them was sick. Bringing them to the hospital was not a good idea since they were in hiding, too. Just like me. So, she asked for my help considering no one could see us. Wise move, Catherine.

We drove to the place and I found the sick little girl in bed. I took her temperature and it was 103 F which was very critical for her age. She was only around 6 or 7 years old. So, I called JT to get medications at the university lab especially a Nebulizer for her breathing and Cephalexin good for 10 days. Oh… Catherine was pissed when she saw me with a phone and never knew about it. That was a burner phone!

****************************************************************************

We had a fight. Catherine and I did. Not because of the burner phone. Well, it was part of it. She was suspended today from work because this was not supposed to be her case. But looked at what she was doing. She did not have a gun or a badge, not even a warrant. Still, she went to the club to investigate. I could not leave her on her own unarmed. So, I followed her. And when she left, I attacked the owner of the club. I heard him talking to someone about the girls and I was convinced they did the crime. Catherine got mad because I knocked the guy unconscious.

That was why I did not want to get involve. I did not have a book or a protocol to follow. I helped whenever I could so forgive me if she thought I messed up the case.

I went back to the girls and brought them to JT. I read the other guy's message to the owner 'cleaning things up.' What was that supposed to mean? Were they going to kill the girls?

He was surprise when he did not find the girls in the basement. I covered his head with a cloth and tied him up on the chair. I immediately called Catherine. Fortunately, cops were already in the building and I needed to get out fast. How? I beasted out in panic to get out but Catherine saved me from being seen by the guy. They resolved the case. Though we messed up but we were able to figure things out.

****************************************************************************

I left her a note to meet me at the fire escape. Catherine somehow understood my way of helping. We just needed to communicate. I gave her the number of my burner phone. However, it was only good for three days. It had been years since I helped people as a doctor. So, it felt good that I was helping again in a different course.