⚘ one ⚘

Author's note: I just wanted to let you all know before you start reading, that this is my first fanfic and it will be cringy. I will try my hardest not to make it so, but right now I'm gonna enjoy this and I hope you do to! So please read and leave some constructive comments! If you want :) Also lunardrops inspired me to write this. So, thanks!

⚘

Emery was always hidden behind her sisters glory-ridden shadow. Lilith was a famous violinist with the beauty and the singing voice from up above. Every conversation that she had with a person who knew about her sister, was always about her sister. She had become sick of it after the second time.

Emery loved her sister, but the only problem that she had with her was that she had the approval of their parents. Emery was nothing more than a mistake from an affair her mother had. And she never heard the end of it. She was always called half-breed by her older brother; she cried every time. It wasn't her fault that her mother was a cheater.

She was a disappointment to the family 'purebred' name. The black sheep. At the age of sixteen, she became what they thought she was. She 'partied' with a group of people. However, what she was really doing was being taught how to play the guitar, even though she knew how to play the violin. She learned that music, if it was the right instrument, was the escape from reality. She made her own world where she was alone and there was no such thing as verbal and physical abuse.

At the age of seventeen, she fell in love with a boy. A sweet boy who made her feel accepted and cared for. The only thing she regretted was her sister finding out about it. And once he saw her, he was done for. she could see him falling for her sweet words. And there was nothing that she could do. When she caught them in the act, all her sister said was, "Oops." Her heart cracked even more.

At the age of eighteen, she left the home of her family and she ran like a coward. She made a home for herself in a place she thought no one would look for her. It was all the way across America. While her parents lived in a warm and dry place, she moved to a rather cold and wet -- only when it was winter anyways -- place

At the age of eighteen and three months, she got a job at a rather nice music store. It was a mixture of old records and instruments to buy. She liked the atmosphere of such a store and the town had its own history as well. The architecture was old and odd that it fit her perfectly. None of it reminded her of her family, thankfully.

So, at the age of twenty-one, she was still working at the music store and had a house of her own. She had friends, and knew mostly everyone where she ventured. She was finally at peace, but not exactly happy. Something was missing.

Her head rested on her hand as she flipped through a magazine. Today was a rather slow one, since it was snowing outside. She was bored and wanted nothing more than to play the piano that sat in the corner. That was the only instrument that she could touch.

"Emery," she looked over at her boss. "there should be a couple of boxes coming with records in it. Then you can close up shop after you put them away. I'm going to my daughters recital."

Emery smiled, "Okay. Give her my luck!"

"Will do."

Once he left, she went back to her Rolling Stone magazine. She stopped at a picture of a band called Greta Van Fleet. She had listened to a few of their songs and enjoyed them. Having been a fan of Led Zeppelin and Metallica, it had been nice to see a good band in her generation of electronics. and she did find the lead singer to be rather adorable. She flipped through a few more pages before the bell rang that was on top of the door.

"Here's your packages." the UPS guy said as he scanned them and set it on the counter.

"Thanks."

"Stay warm."

"You too!"

She grabbed her pocket knife and cut open the boxes and started to sort them alphabetically. She found a Greta Van Fleet vinyl and decided that she would play it on the record player. Emery went into the next room where all the vinyls were and played the music. She bopped to it as she organized the records. She disregarded the bell as she mouthed the words and slid a record into the right section. She turned around to the box only to see someone standing behind her. She jumped and did a little scream.

Her hand went to her heart, "Oh my god. What are you trying to do? Give me a heart attack."

He chuckled. "I did say hello." She breathed in and out, leaning against the vinyls shelves. She walked over to the record player and turned down the music. She turned back and smiled slightly.

"Sorry, I didn't think anyone would come in. But here you are."

"Here I am." He walked over to the vinyls and looked through them. She went back to her boxes and start organizing again. She discreetly looked at him and noticed how similar he was to the lead singer of Greta Van Fleet. He had curly hair and wore camo green pants with a large jacket covering most of his body. She looked back down so that he wouldn't know that she was staring. The silence was comfortable, but he broke it, "By the way, I'm Josh."

"Emery. Nice to meet you."

"Same. Um, I think I have everything."

"Ah, let me check you out and you can get back to whatever." She walked back into the front.

He chuckled as said, "Didn't you already check me out?"

"What?" She furrowed her brows as he smirked at her. She figured it out and blushed with embarrassment. She was ready to die. She cleared her throat and said the total amount. He kept his smirk on his face.

"Don't worry, I was checking you out too. Bye."

"Bye."