Chapter 10

Leigh walked into school on Monday on dragging feet. Last night, she had stayed up late thinking of how to obtain money to help Jesy as well as missing Dr Weasel and all of her other friends. She was having a hard time to say the least. At least I actually slept a bit. Her thumb was quite wrinkly but luckily, no one had seen her doing it. She did not know what her mother would do if she saw her continuing the awful habit.

"There she is, the soon to be head girl." Jade said as Leigh passed her seat.

Leigh-Anne smiled at her tiredly then noticed Lilly scowling close by. Leigh rolled her eyes at her and headed to her seat after greeting the class.

I could try dancing on the streets but I can't dance all that well. That had been one of her first options but her tired brain had forgotten. What if I sold cupcakes at sch- no Mum would have to buy too many things. This was frustrating and tiring. All she wanted to do now was help Jesy. Jesy and her siblings did not show that they wanted it but Leigh could see that somewhere they did. Who wouldn't want a fresh meal every night?

The girl rested her head on her desk tiredly.

"I'm not sure that I'd win head boy but everyone says I would."

That was Andre's voice. Why was everyone still talking about that stuff? Wait . . . today is elections! She thought. She had to give a final address to the student body at assembly. Uh-oh. I haven't prepared a thing and I'm tired. She wanted to cry.

I've got a bit of time so it's either I have a little nap or I write something quick. The time was seven thirty. School started at eight. She had thirty minutes.

The girl thought with her head still down and then yawned. Okay, it's settled. If I don't take a little snooze now then I'd risk being sleepy all day and I need the energy to brain storm with Jesy. She was sure that Jesy would love to help. The girl was creative like her so it would be fun.

Leigh closed her eyes. I don't even need to suck on it. I can just sleep without it in my mouth. That was how a person got rid of habits right? They practiced life without them.

In her mind she saw Dr Weasel and opened her eyes. Imagine something else. She tried again and dozed off with a blank mind.

Leigh was fast asleep when she started having a dream about Jesy and her siblings being taken away from their mother by CPS services. She involuntarily placed her finger in her mouth so that the image would go away and fell into an even deeper sleep.

The loud ringing of the bell startled Leigh and she sat up with the thumb still in place.

"No way. She actually does suck her thumb. I thought Lilly was just lying."

Leigh looked at the boy who said that then pulled her finger from her mouth as the class laughed. Shoot. I'm so silly. And right before my final speech. Ugh! Why do I even care about this?

"That doesn't mean that you shouldn't vote for her. Everyone has their faults right?" Jade came to Leigh's defense as kids started imitating what the girl had been doing.

"Does it taste good Leigh?" A girl asked before pretending to suck her thumb.

Perrie came to Leigh's side too. "Whatever! Yous all know that you're going to vote for her anyway."

Leigh-Anne sighed. Stupid thumb and lack of sleep. She could hear all the sucking noises and it annoyed her. "Alright that's enough." She stood and started walking out, the two girls following.

_____________

There were only five girls running now. Leigh was the only one from her class and she was probably the most unsure.