Chapter 17

"Slow down." Jesy giggled while watching Leigh lick ice cream quickly. She was at the ice cream parlour with the girl, her mother and her sister.

Leigh-Anne could not. She slurped at the cream then licked around her mouth. "I'm just so happy that you guys decided to take me out and that you drew back my punishment Mum. Thank you so much. I'll never do anything wrong again and I'll-I'll clean my room and I'll be the best daughter ever and you'll never have to get mad again . . ." She could not seem to stop talking.

The mother laughed. "Wipe your face darling." She took a napkin up from the table for Leigh to use.

Leigh-Anne took it and wiped all around. She then smiled at Jesy who was sitting at her side. "And I am so happy that you did all of this." She hugged her. "You're all wet but I don't care."

Jesy blushed. "Well, I am a dream." This was her greatest accomplishment yet. "Thanks for allowing us to still hang out Ms. Leigh's Mum. I promise I won't get her into any more trouble." She smiled at Leigh.

The mother nodded. "Don't worry yourself too much though. Leigh-Anne is the one who should be steering you in the right direction. I recall raising her to be a leader and a good influence." She took a spoonful of ice cream while eyeing Leigh-Anne.

Leigh-Anne nodded at that with a frightened air. Now she would have to try extra hard with Jesy. Her eyes trained onto her ice cream and she got quiet. "I am supposed to be the good influence."

Jesy observed her. "You okay?"

Sairah, who was sitting next to their mother suddenly looked up from her phone. She appeared to not understand what was going on for a moment. "What am I doing here? Family time? Ew." She got to her feet and started leaving. "Thanks for paying for the ice cream Mum. Jesy, keep being cute." She blew a kiss at the girl before leaving the building.

Jesy caught it and put it on her cheek. "She's a nice girl." Her head nodded while she kept licking.

Leigh had her head turned where Sairah had left. "Oh well. At least Mum is still here." She faced her mother. "Don't worry Mum. I actually am a good influence and a leader." She grinned now thinking of finally telling her mother that she was head girl.

"Is that so?" She finished her ice cream then looked at the time. "Oh boy. How long has it been? An hour?"

Jesy grabbed Leigh's wrist to look at her watch. "Can't tell. I can't read the time." She put Leigh's arm down and continued eating. She bit into the cone. "My favourite part. It's been such a while since I've eaten this stuff."

Leigh-Anne observed as her mother started getting to her feet. "Do you have a meeting or something? On Saturday?" Her mother practically just joined CPS. They would not want her in a meeting already, would they?

"Well no but I'm quite eager to hear more about the job. You kind of interrupted me from doing so Jesy." She was packing her things into her handbag with her eyes on the new girl.

Jesy was chewing her cone. "Sorry." She said with a full mouth.

"Come on now. Didn't your mummy tell you not speak while you've got food in your mouth?" She was all set now and staring at the girl and frowning.

Jesy swallowed then shrugged as if she did not care.

"Well if you've only got to leave for that then you can stay longer can't you Mum?" Leigh-Anne's ice cream was finished and only the cone was left. She did not feel like eating it so she handed it to Jesy.

Jesy smiled. "For me?" After Leigh nodded to say yes she bit hard. "Crunchy." Ice cream was not a thing she had often.

Leigh's mother adjusted her bag on her shoulder then smiled at Leigh. "I actually believe that it's important." She stretched to pinch Leigh's cheek. "Enjoy your ice cream alright baby? Oh you gave it to Jesy . . ." She frowned at the other girl. "Where does your mummy work Jesy?"