Chapter 22

Leigh-Anne was at the back of her school. She had come here as soon as she had been dropped off by her mother. She was not ready for class yet. The day was Friday. Sairah would be gone by later. Leigh had had to sleep with her mother the night before. The lady did not trust her next to her sister.

At the moment, Leigh just wanted Dr Weasel back. Things would have never gotten this bad if he was here. She would have had him to keep her company and not drive her insane. "I'm a murderer now." She murmured remembering those sick words she had said. Clearly she was losing her mind. "All because no one came to look for me. How selfish." She blew a raspberry then continued trying to pep-talk herself.

You are going to go in there and look happy. If you act happy then you might end up being happy. If you cry then they'd all stare and ask questions then end up calling her. You don't want that. You just want to go to school to get out. That's it. And then after that you'll go to those classes until evening. She liked the piano right? But I like Jesy more. Why was it so bad to be with Jesy? She gets you into trouble. Look at you. You used to be so pretty and now you're hideous. I don't even know why anyone wants to look at you. They're all probably hurting their eyes while watching.

Leigh shook her head. This is not how pep-talks work Leigh-Anne. She sighed deciding to stop trying. She could not even do that right.

"Psst!"

Leigh looked and saw Jesy coming up to her. All dressed in her uniform and looking smug. "S'up Bubs?"

Leigh-Anne's soul wanted to reach out and hug her but she held that urge. She decided to turn instead. I need to practice not needing her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Jesy's tone immediately changed as she noticed not all was right. She came and sat next to her best friend. "You okay?"

Leigh-Anne breathed out. Maybe I should act for her too. She put on a smile and faced Jesy. "Yeah why? How are you Jesy? It's a nice day ain't it?" She sounded pretty cheery and happy to herself.

Jesy was startled. "Dufuq? You looked so gloomy a while ago." That was weird.

It's working. "I was practicing my acting you see." Leigh laughed to sell it. "Aww you look so cute today." She tugged at Jesy's blazer then touched her hair. "I love it when you just wear it out and have it hanging loosely. So pretty. You're so pretty Jesy."

Jesy wondered why Leigh was suddenly confident about complimenting her. The kid nearly choked up to say that I had nice eyes earlier this week. What's happening? "Uh thanks."

"No problem." Leigh was still being pleasant. "It's only the truth though." She took in a breath of fresh air. "So what brings you here today Jes? Feel like I haven't seen you in ages."

There was not a word in the dictionary or a collection of words put together that could explain how bewildered and scared Jesy Nelson felt. Leigh was acting so odd. Something big happened and now she's lost it. "We saw each other yesterday and I just came to bring you this." She brought her backpack to her lap and opened it. Afterwards she pulled out Leigh's favourite plush toy. "Joe cried but I got a sick feeling last night that you needed it so here. You can hold him."

Leigh was stunned. Her act dropped as she watched the toy. He looked fresh and clean. When did Jesy wash him? "Oh . . ."

Jesy saw the tears welling up. That's my Leigh-Anne. This felt more familiar. "It's okay to cry you know."

Leigh took the toy and remembered how so very alone she felt last night. She remembered how her mind had gone so dark.

"Hi Leigh-Anne." Said the toy sweetly. "You look like you need a hug."