Chapter 16

Jesy's mother was pacing the gym as students left and janitors cleaned. She would help but she was just too worried.

"Mum I bet that Jesy just went exploring. She's probably at a candy store with Leigh-Anne. She'll come 'round in a bit. Trust me." Jade was telling her where she was watching her mother get on like a . . . worried mother.

The mother looked at her watch. "Dear goodness, it's ten minutes to nine Jade." She had said that they should be back by eight if they were wandering. She had looked for them around already but had not found them. "Where are they?" She was not worried so much for her Jesy but definitely for the sweet little girl called Leigh-Anne she had brought with her

Jade folded her arms and shook her head. "I don't know Mum but I think you should relax. They'll be here in a bit. Jesy likes roaming about you see. She wouldn't get them into any trouble or anything.

The mother breathed out. "Alright. But an hour is a big deal." She was still very scared.

Jesy and Leigh-Anne came running in at that moment. When they reached they fell to the ground and panted.

Jesy raised a hand. "We're here!" It fell to her side after.

"Jesy! Leigh-Anne!" Jesy's mum stooped down and picked up Jesy so she was sitting. She hugged her tight and rubbed her back. "You had me so worried. Don't ever do that again! When I say a particular time, I mean it. Don't do that to me Jessica. I am going to punish you!" She scolded. She breathed out then kissed Jesy's face all over.

Leigh-Anne gave her body time to stop the pain in her legs from hurting her. I've got to go now. I don't have time. My school is still a good distance away. It's going to take a while on foot.

Are you okay Leigh-Anne?" Jade asked, stooping in front of her.

Leigh-Anne sat up and nodded. She did not have time to waste here.

Jade helped her to her feet while her mother helped Jesy. "Where were you two? You seem like you came from far."

"Yes they do Jade. Why do I smell alcohol?" Jesy's mother sniffed her then held a stern face. "Jessica." She said in a warning loud tone.

Jesy's guilt level was through the roof. "I was being irresponsible and awful Mum. I'm so sorry. I'll never drink and I won't think of it." She turned to Leigh. "And I'm so sorry."

Leigh-Anne nodded then remembered that she had the scent too. "Jesy we need to switch clothes now! I've got to go so let's change. Quick! Quick!" She started taking her dress off.

"Whoa there. Go to a bathroom Leigh-Anne. You can't change with all of these people here." Jade found her ridiculous.

Leigh wriggled impatiently. "But I need to be at my school . . ." She looked at her watch. It was five to nine! "Never mind. Thanks for everything. Goodbye!" She blew kisses at them then bolted out madly. After this I am definitely sleeping in until four tomorrow. That was if her mother allowed her to live until then.

_____________

At Leigh's school, Jade, Andre and Perrie were standing in the hall by the entrance to the building. Their dance had ended thirty minutes ago but they stayed to look out for Leigh's mother so someone could tell her why Leigh was late. There were other year sixers around the halls chatting about nothing in particular, just chilling until their parents came. The younger students who attended the dance were already gone.

"I don't know if I can do this." Perrie said fanning her face.

Jade rolled her eyes. "I keep telling you, her mam would never hurt her or anyone associated with her in public. These people know what they're about you know." She was ready to keep Leigh safe. This was an important role. If they could prevent Leigh's mother from being angry then they would be saving her life.