Chapter 23

Jesy was skipping class . . . again. "And if you're really sneaky you can steal a dessert." She was talking to Teddy whom she had with her.

They were in the cafeteria kitchen trying to sneak to where the food was. She was showing her little friend how to get what he wanted when he was hungry. A mean boy had stolen his food at lunch time so Jesy had tried to get her friends to share with him as she did not have much to eat. They had given him little fruit snacks but he had still been hungry. So now, during class she was getting him what they had left over.

"Dessert." Teddy repeated in the same whispering tone as Jesy. He saw a tray with macaroni in it close to the sink and his mouth began watering. "Jesy. Noona I want that." He tugged her sleeve and pointed. The two of them were squatting behind a counter. There were some staff washing dishes and others cleaning up.

Jesy shushed him then told him to wait. She rolled on the ground discreetly and then got up, leaning against a fridge. She then walked on tip-toes to a table and got under it just as some staff passed. The table was close to the macaroni so she stretched her hand while on her knees and still under the table to get it but it was too far.

Jesy cursed under her breath then decided to get up while the main dishwasher was not looking. She then plucked the food out and tried sneaking her way back under the table but someone saw her.

"Oy! It's a child!"

"Eh? What's that? Aren't the kiddies supposed to be in class?" The man gasped and then started chasing her.

Jesy saluted then started running off. She went to Teddy and picked him up and holding him close she ran out with him.

Jesy and the little boy were laughing when they officially escaped. They were outside close to the gate and panting.

"We go zoom! And they go no zoom. We win!" Teddy was hopping up and down. "Food."

Jesy gave him the macaroni though she would have liked it for herself. All she had was some bread and water for lunch today. That was not enough to full her at all. "Here you go champ."

Teddy took it and took a bite. He then raised it to Jesy. "You want food-food too Jesy noona?"

Jesy smiled but shook her head. "I'm good." Before she knew it the rest of the macaroni was shoved in her mouth. "Oh . . ." She chewed and swallowed while Teddy did the same.

Teddy clapped. "Yay. We did it as team. Team share prize." He giggled.

Jesy licked around her lips to have more of the taste then smiled at Teddy. He was really one of a kind.

Teddy suddenly gasped and pointed. "Look! Leigh-Anne and . . . bigger Leigh-Anne?"

Jesy snapped her head where he pointed and made out a figure entering the school in the distance. It appeared to be one person on another's back and the uniform and hair looked like her friend. "Hey I thought she had piano after." She was walking closer with a smile. "Why is she being carried by . . . Sairah?" She started running to get a better look and felt Teddy chasing her happily.

"Where should I rest you down? I'm tired Leigh." Sairah complained while trudging into the school yard which apparently belonged to Jesy's school. Why am I such a great sister? She had never felt this exhausted in her life. Her body ached like mad.

Leigh-Anne looked around for the playground that Jesy and her friends had been at that time. "Right there Sairah- gasp! Jesy? Before the bell rings? What is she doing out of class?" She became excited and was bouncing a bit on her sister.

"Hey keep yourself under control. You're going to throw me down." Sairah struggled to keep balance then turned to her other side to see if she could find somewhere to put Leigh down. As she did so she felt two bodies crash into her. That was it, she fell.