Chapter 14

Leigh-Anne was supposed to be afraid but she was laughing as they neared the office. On their way here, she had had to tell Jesy where to turn tons of times and often did so too late as the girl was leading very fast. They had almost gotten stuck in people traffic on the sidewalk and so were even later than ever.

"Stop laughing. Not everyone can know where your mum works you know." Jesy patted Leigh on the cheek fondly.

Leigh stopped and breathed. "I know but . . ." She breathed out as the fear sank in. She was in front of the restaurant her mother managed.

Jesy looked up at the sign. "Danny's Burgers. Nice." She watched the other girl. "You okay?"

Leigh-Anne held Jesy. "Come with me. She won't be so mad if you're there."

Jesy gave her an incredulous look. "Me? Nah. No way. Your mum sounds terrifying. She'd snap at me or something. I've got enough people around here who hate me as it is."

Leigh pouted. "But . . . fine." It would be awkward if her mother exploded on her while Jesy was here anyway.

Jesy felt bad. "Hey. Come." She opened her arms.

Leigh accepted the hug quickly. "When you kissed me it felt so good. Do it more please?"

Jesy nodded on her shoulder then kissed Leigh's cheek. "Better?" She was looking into her eyes now.

"Better." Leigh smiled.

They let go and surveyed their surroundings awkwardly for a bit before returning their attentions back to each other. "Anyway, I gotta go and so do you. I don't want to keep you longer so yeah. Next time, I'll pick you up okay?" Jesy was walking backwards.

"Alright. Later Jesy." Leigh waved a hand.

Jesy saluted then scampered off.

This time Leigh watched her go. "So she doesn't use disappearing magic after all. Interesting." She sighed then entered the restaurant.

Leigh-Anne's mother worked in an office way behind the counter passed the kitchen of the building. She had been here before but not of late.

The girl walked nervously to the room and then knocked on the closed door.

"Come in." The woman's voice said from inside.

Leigh felt her jaw clench and she squeezed at the straps on her bag. I'm late. She knew that already but she could not help but think of the reason for why she would be scolded brutally.

She opened the door carefully and stepped in. She met her mother at her desk wearing glasses while looking at a printed document. There were plenty of files scattered all over her desk and her laptop was open in front of her.

The child wondered if she should even bother to say a greeting.

"It's about time." Her mother set her paper down to look at Leigh.

Leigh-Anne gulped trying to read her mother's expression. She did not look angry but she was not happy to see Leigh either. "S-sorry Mum I got caught up with . . . I was playing-" No that sounded bad. Don't go and say that. "I got lost." She rushed out. That's better. She set her bags next to one of the seats in front of her mother's desk then sat down on it. Not sure of what school work she would be given to do to occupy her. Her mother had said that she would get her some difficult exercises to get her brain going.

Her mother looked at her plainly for a moment then said; 'Humph'. She removed her glasses to get a better look at the girl. "You got lost you say?"

Leigh did not like this game. She nodded mutely while getting something out of her bag.

"Please look at me when I'm speaking to you." She sounded tired. "You know that rule by now."