Chapter 27

On Friday at school in the morning, Lilly and Jade were in the middle of a smack talk.

"Oh yeah well Leigh's going to have a whole chocolate marble cake with candy on it at hers so yeah!" Jade snapped. She and Lilly were at the front of the class. She had just been talking excitedly with the other girls who were invited to Leigh's sleepover when Lilly showed up and started teasing them. Jade had gotten upset and decided to let her have it. Leigh-Anne had told them what would be served as snacks at the party so Jade knew. It was going to be pretty epic from what Leigh described. And she doesn't lie.

Lilly had her whole clique behind her and they were laughing. "Leigh comes from an abusive home Jade. I don't think she's going to have half the things you described." Her girls laughed.

Jade's eye twitched. "Stop throwing that around! You don't look good when you make jokes about that. Especially when it's not even fu- when it's not true."

"Ooo. Jade almost cursed." Tommy was filming this from a safe distance away.

Andre took his phone and threw it down. "You girls really need to stop fighting each other about this whole sleepover thing."

Perrie smacked Andre's arm. "You're only saying that because you don't understand the significance." She waved a fist. "Tell her Jade! Tell that bitch who you are!" She had watched an American reality show with her older brother last night to be prepared for anything today.

"Yeah tell her." Another girl on Leigh's side said.

Lilly laughed smartly with folded arms. "I bet Leigh won't even come today because she's too embarrassed to face me after yesterday." Her girls laughed.

Jade growled. Yesterday Lilly had applied glue to Leigh's seat after lunch and had shoved the girl onto it. Leigh had not noticed until she got up and a part of her skirt ripped off. Luckily, Leigh had been wearing little black shorts over her underwear so no one saw. The class had found that funny either way and it had been clear that Leigh-Anne had felt embarrassed.

"That had just been low!" Jade spat at her. "She'll be here. She doesn't get fazed easily Lilly."

"Really now?" Lilly's clique was giggling behind her. "I kind of recall her crying after I dissed her after school yesterday. You were there while we were in the hall Jade. Don't you remember how disappointed the students around looked that their head girl was so weak?"

Jade wanted to ring her neck. "Bitch you better-" She was coming closer with a fist when Leigh entered.

"Good morning everyone- what's going on?" Leigh-Anne had been smiling bright until she stopped and frowned at the crowd in front of the class.

Jade and the other girls gasped at Leigh's hair. It was in cornrows and made her face glow and look brighter. "Leigh-Anne." Jade ran to her and gave her a hug.

Perrie ran too and the other girls on Leigh's side came forward and started complimenting her.

Leigh was giggling and saying thank yous. Some boys came forward and were saying the same. "Thanks guys." She felt really happy this morning. Last night, her mother had come to her and said that she had not done her hair in a while and did it for her. Leigh had felt so happy. They'd watched a movie on TV together and even caught up a bit. Leigh had not known what came over her mother but she was happy for it and hoped it would continue. I think she just had a good day at work. She really wanted there to be more good days.

Lilly was gritting her teeth together. She finally smiled and came pushing through the crowd. "Hi Leigh, yeah you look nice and all . . . well . . ." She tilted her head. "Isn't that the hairdo that Romeo wears?" Her crew giggled.