Thirteen

Twenty minutes after the time that they planned on meeting up, and Steve was positive that Bucky was standing him up. Steve sighed and looked down at the table in disappointment. He should've known. Of course, Bucky was standing him up.

"Hi! I'm meeting --" Bucky informed the hostess before spotting Steve and pausing. Bucky gestured towards Steve before heading over to the round table.

Steve stood and thought about walking around the table to pull out the seat for Bucky. However, before Steve could make up his mind, Bucky was already taking his seat across from him. Steve sat as well and smiled at Bucky when Bucky smiled at him.

It was a fancy place with expensive small portions and table clothes with cloth napkins. Bucky looked over the menu. Steve was still gazing at Bucky, but averted his eyes when Bucky caught him. Of course, that made Bucky smugly smirk. It was just so difficult for Steve not to appreciate Bucky when Bucky was sitting there with his long brown hair twisted back into a bun at the nape of his neck. It was also pretty difficult when Bucky's maroon red cashmere sweater snugly fit his muscular torso.

Of course, Steve didn't look so bad himself in a navy-blue button down and a pair of well-tailored black slacks. He had even trimmed his beard.

Chewing on his lower lip, Bucky noticed how pricey everything was. He also noticed that the menu didn't have anything that Bucky recognized or anything that sounded even remotely appetizing.

Leaning in close, Bucky asked, "Can I be honest?"

"I wouldn't want you to be anything but," Steve stated, although his heart was racing, afraid of what could be said.

"Well," Bucky glanced down at the menu again before laying it flat on the table in front of him. He then admitted, "I appreciate this gesture, but I'm more of a chili cheese fries by the interstate type of guy."

Steve's shoulders sagged in relief and he smiled fondly at Bucky before putting his menu down on the table too. Steve informed Bucky, "Ya know, I know this great little hole in the wall that serves the best burgers I've ever had. I even hear that they have some spectacular chili cheese fries."

Bucky quirked a brow, intrigued and suggested, "Wanna get outta here?"

"God, yes," Steve dramatically stated.

Steve stood from the table and offered his hand out to Bucky. Bucky had a large grin on his face as he graciously took Steve's hand, lacing their fingers together. They left the restaurant and Steve was about to head over to the parking lot where his car was, but Bucky gestured across the street, "My cars right over there."

"Okay," Steve smiled, allowing Bucky to lead the way.

Crossing the street, they kept holding hands. Steve smiled at that and Bucky led him over to his car. Which happened to be the rusted, old VW Rabbit that Steve had seen in the Kismet Cabaret employee parking lot.

"You're kidding," Steve good-humoredly scoffed.

"Hey," Bucky playfully poked Steve's side before moving away from him and heading over to the driver's side. He informed Steve, "This bad boy is reliable."

As they both climbed into the vehicle, Bucky continued, "Got me all the way from Michigan to here."

"You're from Michigan?" Steve asked, wanting to know more about this beautiful, charming man.

Bucky nodded and started the car. It made a strange noise that didn't seem to alarm Bucky at all. Steve, on the other hand, was mildly unsettled. Slamming the car into gear, Bucky answered, "I'm from the bottom palm."