Four

Sharon let out long, loud sigh through her nose.  Clearly annoyed as she aggressively folded the clothes that just came out of the dryer.  Steve knew that something was wrong.  Usually, Steve was the dramatic one, not Sharon.  So, whenever Sharon started actively, practically theatrically, non-verbally expressed herself, Steve knew that something was up.

"Everything okay?"  Steve asked, taking out his own freshly dried clothing.

As Steve moved the pile of clothes over to the folding counter in front of the row of windows, Sharon asked, "Remember that guy?  Keith?"

"Yeah, the nurse that looks like a lumberjack," Steve confirmed, picking up a warm t-shirt.  Just holding the item of clothing close to his body for a moment, Steve prompted, "What about him?"

"I," Sharon started before pausing.  She pressed her lips together and shook her head, "I don't even know -- like, he's just --"

Sharon let out an annoyed and exaggerated groan, even dramatically tilting her head back to look up at the ceiling.  Steve's brows furrowed and he asked, "That bad, huh?"

"You have no idea," Sharon angrily muttered, tightly grasping the shirt in her hand before twisting the garment and balling it up, and tossing it back onto the pile of clothes.

"So," Steve prompted again, turning to face Sharon.  Steve left his pile of clothes untouched as he leaned against the counter and asked, "What happened?"

For a moment, neither of them said anything.  Steve watched Sharon and Sharon ground her teeth together.  Steve didn't mind though.  He knew that sometimes, it took some time to form a coherent thought.  Especially when angry.  Steve also understood that Sharon had always had difficulties with fully opening up.

"Okay," Sharon sighed and mimicked Steve's stance.  Leaning against the counter and facing Steve, she said, "So, you know how I've been into him for a while.  Like, since he started last spring?"  Steve nodded and Sharon continued, "Well, I finally got tired of waiting for him to pick up on all the hints that I had been dropping for him and I decided to ask him out."

"You did," Steve questioned, a large grin stretching his face.  Sharon nodded and Steve realized that something really bad must have happened.  His grin quickly started fading and he asked, "What did he say?"

"He said," Sharon let out another sigh through her nose as she gathered herself.  Her hands were in fists as she relayed to Steve, "He said, that he was flattered, but he doesn't date pregnant chicks."

Steve's eyes went wide and his mouth dropped open in a shocked silent O.  There were tears staring to build in Sharon's eyes and she crossed her arms along her chest as she looked away from him.  Steve just couldn't believe it.  He, first, couldn't believe that anyone would turn someone down with a line like that.  Then, Steve couldn't believe that someone would actually think that Sharon was pregnant.

As Steve's eyes roamed over Sharon's slender frame, his brows furrowed.  How could someone think that she was pregnant.  Sharon usually wore classy, form-fitting outfits that showed off her impressive figure.  Sure, when she was at work, she was in the typical, regulated scrubs, but even then it was unfathomable.  Steve just couldn't believe that some jerk could use that as a line to turn down a date proposal.

"I mean," Sharon started, lowering her voice.  She leaned a bit closer and asked Steve, "Do I look --"

"No," Steve immediately interrupted and reassured her, "He's just an asshole.  There's no way that he thought that you were pregnant.  Did you set him straight?  Did he answer why he assumed you were?"

Sharon tightened the elastic holding her long blonde hair in a casual, messy ponytail.  She shrugged, "I was really shocked that he would say that, so I just told him that I wasn't pregnant and then left as quickly as possible."

Watching her for a moment, Steve reached up and gently tugged at the sleeve of her loose-fit long sleeve tee.  Once Steve had Sharon's attention, he tugged at the sleeve again, and Sharon willingly went into Steve's awaiting arms for a comforting embrace.

Steve teased, "You want me to rough him up?"

"No," Sharon scoffed.  "I just don't see why he had to be such a dick."

"Well," Steve gave a helpless shrug while Sharon wrapped her arms around his fit torso.  Then, Steve gave the least helpful advice.  The advice that he knew Sharon hated hearing the most, "Maybe he's just intimidated by you."

Groaning in mock annoyance, Sharon leaned back, away from Steve, to really look at him, before she playfully swatted at his pec.  Steve feigned offense as he grabbed at his pec, as though Sharon's tap had actually hurt.  In jest, Sharon rolled her eyes and Steve pulled Sharon into his embrace again.

Smoothing his hand over Sharon's neck, Steve said, "I really am sorry.  Who knew that Keith would turn out to be such a prick?"

"Yeah," Sharon softly agreed, "Who would have guessed."

Leaning back, Steve playfully narrowed his eyes in suspicion, and he teased, "Was this you hinting that you want to have my babies."

"Oh, c'mon," Sharon chuckled and swatted at him again before pulling away completely to get back to folding laundry.

Steve turned towards his pile of clothes as well and started folding the garments in front of him.  Occasionally, Steve would purposely bump his hip against Sharon's.  Or nudge her with his elbow.  Each time Steve acted immaturely, Sharon would roll her eyes or give an annoyed sigh.  Of course, that didn't deter Steve, nor did Sharon want Steve to stop.

Sharon joked, "Who needs a baby when I have you?"

Loudly, Steve genuinely laughed, throwing his head back and all.  Then, Steve wrapped his arms around Sharon again, just because he felt like it.