Finding Out.

I laid out several newspapers on the island before Hero and I begin our search for potential adoptive parents for the baby. We aren't being picky when it comes to the type of parents we want, as long as they were decent and would give the baby the life it deserved.

"How about this?" Hero asks, looking through one of the newspapers. "Single and employed twenty-five-year-old looking for a child to call her own."

"Hmm, yeah but who would take care of it?" I ask.

"Maybe she'll get a nanny?" He shrugs.

"Keep looking." I shake my head.

"So much for not being picky."

"I just want to make sure this baby has the best life it can possibly have. I already feel bad enough for it, the least I can do is ensure it's well being."

"Babe, we have plenty of time to look around and keep our options open. We don't need to rush into this now."

"I just want to plan ahead... in case something happens."

Hero smiles before leaning over and kissing my forehead. "Always one step ahead."

I smile back at him before looking down at my newspaper. "Hey, I like this." I point to the ad that caught my eye. "Energetic, outdoorsy, married couple and two-year-old son from San Diego looking to adopt again. Stay-at-home mom and professional dad. Hero, they sound perfect!"

"San Diego is just under two hours from here. Maybe they're willing to make the drive?"

"With a two-year-old? I doubt it." I shake my head.

"Jo," Hero sighs. "We agreed."

Hero had decided that it would be for the best to meet with potential adoptive parents in the comfort and safety of our own home. Meeting in a public place may cause speculation, knowing how closely Hero and I were watched.

"We can ask." I nod.

I take out my phone to call the number in the newspaper just as Hero gets a call on his phone. He looks at the screen, a concerned look on his face. "It's my mum."

"I'll wait to call." I assure him. "Answer it."

"Mum?" Hero says into the speaker.

Martha's voice is inaudible, but I could tell from Hero's facial expression that he wasn't overly enthusiastic about whatever she was telling him.

"That's great... Mum I don't know... No nothing's wrong we've just been busy... well it's kind of last minute... I'll ask Josephine... okay Mum... love you too... Mum, no stop... I'm hanging up now... goodbye." He huffs before hanging up.

"What's up?" I nudge him.

"My mum has a premiere for her new film in downtown Los Angeles tomorrow evening. This is news to me, but she wants us to go... Jo you don't have to. If you're not comfortable, please don't force-"

"I want to go!" I smile. "It would be an honor."

He smiles softly at me. "Are you sure?"

I nod. "Positive."

***

On the night of Martha's film premiere, I was able to find a gown nice enough to wear. It was a floor length pleated maroon gown with a sweetheart neckline and straps that hung just below my shoulders. I straightened my hair and only wore the jewelry that was given to me by the one who had my heart.

"Mum's sending a driver, are you almost ready?" Hero asks as I make my way out into the living room. He wore a navy-blue suit, which brought out the color of his eyes perfectly. His hair was slicked back and his face free of any stubble.