Coming Home.

We drove through the beautiful countryside, the afternoon sun shining across the valley of trees. Hero and I were on our way back to his parents' house to get Annie so we could finally go home. I could've stayed at the cottage for all eternity, but I missed Annie.

I missed home.

I smile down at my engagement ring, brushing my thumb over the smooth stone as I remember the beautiful words Hero spoke to me.

All of this felt surreal.

I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that I was engaged to the love of my life.

If you were to tell me three years ago that this was how my life was going to turn out, I wouldn't have believed you. I probably would've been sat on my small bed in Perth, waiting for my life to begin.

But here I was, living my best life.

With Hero right by my side.

And he was going to be forever.

When we pull up in front of the house, I'm practically out of the car before it even stops. I can hear Hero's laughter as he follows me inside, my eyes frantically searching for Annie.

"Hello?" I call out.

"We're in here darling!" I hear Martha call from upstairs.

My feet carry me up the steps, following the sound of the television coming from Mercy's room.

Martha and Mercy were sat on the floor, Annie on Mercy's lap as they watched cartoons on the TV.

"Hi Jo." Martha smiles up at me.

"Hi guys." I say with a laugh.

Annie's head whips around at the sound of my voice and her green eyes widen as does her smile.

"Hi baby." I smile down at her.

She lets out a squeal, reaching her arms towards me.

Mercy lifts her up and I take Annie from her, pressing her against my chest as I place gentle kisses on top of her head. "I missed you so much, Jellybean."

"So..." Mercy says slowly.

I lift my head slightly and look at Mercy's eager expression. "What?"

"Show us the ring!"

"You guys knew?" I ask, dumbfounded.

"Of course, we did! Hero wouldn't shut up about it." Mercy scoffs, earning a nudge from her mum.

"Yes love, we knew." Martha smiles at me. "Hero was so nervous, trying to think of the right things to say to you. I knew he'd find the right words however."

I grip Annie with my right arm as I extend my left hand down so they could see the ring.

"It's beautiful." Martha says, her eyes filling with tears. "I can't believe it. Both of my sons are getting married. I'm so happy for you and Hero, Jo. Congratulations."

"Thank you." I tell her wholeheartedly.

"Have you set a date yet?" Mercy asks.

"So many questions." I hear Hero say from the doorway.

Annie wriggles in my arms, whining as she lunges towards Hero.

"Careful, Annie." I say with a laugh.

Hero's eyes fill with joy as he lifts Annie out of my arms. He places a kiss on both of her cheeks. "Hello, my love."

"I can't believe you actually asked her." Mercy says to Hero with a laugh.