Chapter 29

Another day alone, no food, no drinkable water. Chance was beginning to feel the effect of dehydration. Cramps in his calves,  headache, dizziness, dry mouth. He had no choice but to drink the salty ocean water.  "I'll take my chances" he thought as he scooped the water into his hands, feverishly swallowing the cool liquid. Staggering back, he laid beneath a tall tree, shading himself from the sun beating down, hoping to relieve the pounding in his head. "Don't give up, they will come...Don't..." he told himself as he drifted to sleep.

'How long are we going to let this go on, look at him, he needs help' Caroline thought as she watched him resting.

'You know it's all part of the plan, we can't interfere, we can't do anything to change the plan'  Alan replied.

'It just doesn't seem fair, hasn't he been through enough' she said kneeling beside him, lightly touching his hair.

'You know the rules, Caroline. In order for him to have survived the tumor, he was given a new life's plan, a new purpose.  It's not for us to decide ' he reminded her.

She nodded, 'it still doesn't make it any easier to watch. But I understand -lessons to be learned' she said walking back to Alan.

'Believe me, I know. I didn't think once coming here, on this side, would be filled with so much emotion. It's like still being alive, it still hurts, I still feel' he stated solemnly.

'Our soul never dies, Alan...only the physical body ceases and we bring their love with us. It's comforting in a way, but heartbreaking in another' Caroline whispered as Chance stirred in his sleep.

'Come, we're being called elsewhere, he'll be ok.  Let's go' Alan told her as they whisked away in the breeze.

****
Tim stood beside the bed drying his hair after his shower staring at the journal. Fighting with himself, trying to convince himself the answers may be inside that book.  But then again, it's personal, not to be disturbed by another. "Ugh" he growled as he tossed the towel aside and stepped out on the balcony. Leaning against the railing, the warm gulf breeze surrounding him, the image of Chance's tattoo kept appearing in his mind's eye....

  "I was a sailor, I was born upon the tide and with the sea I did abide"

"What the hell am I missing" he asked aloud looking out across the horizon.

****
Jake was becoming more impatient with every minute that passed waiting for something, anything that would let them know if he was still alive.

"Marcus, I can't do this anymore, this is bullshit, I'm going to look for him myself" he stated angrily.

"Jake, you can't. It's too risky, let the coast guard keep searching, we can't afford you getting lost too" Heather told him, grabbing his arm.

"She's right, Jake. We have to be patient, let them do their job. You have a family to take care of who needs you" Marcus replied.

"He's my family too, damn it" Jake retorted.

"Daddy, Daddy" Calli called, tugging on his pant leg.

Sighing deeply Jake looked down at his little girl. He knew they were right, he couldn't risk never returning to her and Heather.  Picking her up he said "what do you have here baby girl", noticing she was carrying a picture.

"It's uncle Chance, see he's ok. He's taking a nap under a tree cause his boat is broken" she replied, pointing to him.

Jake, Heather and Marcus all gasped looking at the drawing as Maggie came in. "What is it, what's wrong" she asked, her voice filled with fear.

"Mimi, look. Uncle Chance is ok, see my picture" Calli boasted.

Maggie placed her hand over her mouth. Could this be true, could this be a sign or was it just the wishful imagination of a sweet innocent young child instead.