Chapter 22

My head was spinning, it felt like I was drunk on happiness, like nothing bad or anything anyone was gonna say was gonna tear me down. Tadashi had walked me home and we kissed goodnight, he said something strange thou earlier. He said he didn't want to get in a serious relationship because I seemed "distracted by something... or someone." I didn't know what he meant but nine the less I was happy....at least that wasn't until I got home and walked into the apartment.

When I walked home only Tsubaki sat there with a worried expression. She stood up quick as she saw me lock the door, with a sad look. "Umm, everyone left.... Emma left somewhere... Soul went for a walk.... umm." "Tsubaki please don't say anything else unless it's asking me how my date was." I said taking off my jacket. She was hesitant and slowly asked "How was it?" "Great! We are gonna be dating!" I said with a small squeal. "AH! I new he liked you!" She said grabbing my hands and jumping up and down. "What's his name? What does he looks like? Does he go to school with you? When do I get introduced to-" "Tsubaki!" I giggled. "You can meet him another time, I really have to thank Liz for making me go out, exactly the push I needed." I said with a sigh of relief.
Tsubaki smiled at me and sighed, "You know the day we all came back... it was kind of obvious that some things majorly changed. Not just us all growing up, not just what happened to me and BlackStar, but it seemed like we all went threw something. Like our life wasn't kind to us in the years. Meeting everyone again was like a dream come true but you walked into the group last and...  we didn't even recognize you because you walked in looking a bit different and looking like it seemed you had the hardest time throughout these five years. We all took notice of that... so we all decided to be with you more in hopes you would tell us what was bothering you" she smiled at me as she motioned on the couch for me to sit and I fallowed. "But this is the first time since we come back that you seem happy! I had just thought...." she sighed and looked embarrassed "... I thought it was gonna be us and especially Soul that was gonna make you feel better...I thought you would have ended up with Soul." I snorted.

"Yea right... he... He is an enigma and a jerk. He would have never  seen more then a friend." I said tucking my knees into my chest. Tsubaki just looked at me and shook her head. "When you are ready to talk... I'll be ready to listen Maka. INTILL then I can't wait to meet Tadashi... and I should get going... BlackStar was already mad that I didn't let him fallow you to the date." I laughed and she hugged me and I walked her to the door.

"Thank you Tsubaki. I really mean it."and with her leaving I was alone in my apartment. No Emma... no Soul. Soul must be really mad. I sat on the chair with his my legs to my chest just taking in the silence.

Silence stood in my apartment for the next couple of days. Soul never came home, nobody came to visit. The only calls I got were from Tadashi... and Papa...I only went to school and home.

It wasn't until the day of the competition that I saw all of them again.

Im at school waiting for Tadashi to come in. Not dressed for the competition just wearing a plain jacket and jeans, my headphones blaring music as my stomach did flip flops. Tadashi and I have been practicing but I still couldn't see souls and the fact I haven't heard from any of my friends for a couple of day wasn't helping anything. I leaned against the post and gave a big sigh looking up in the air. "Maka." I heard my name muffled threw my headphones as it spines to the source.

A unusually quiet group stared at me. Kid fallowed by Liz, Patty, BlackStar, Tsubaki, and Soul. A tired looking Soul who had bags underneath his eyes. " You decided to come" Kid said with a hint of hope.

"Umm, Yea. But I'm actually waiting for a friend too." Liz made a Ahh noise in response. "Well they are more then welcomed to sit with us in the box." He said.

"Is this a friend you tell more stuff to, like what the hell happened to you these last five year." BlackStar glared crossing his arms. "BlackStar!!" Tsubaki warned. He gave a humph noise and looked away.

"No BlackStar is obviously right, let them sit somewhere else." Soul finally said, his breath reeling of alcohol. "Soul you smell like a bar. And where the hell were you these last few days!!"

"None of you concern bookworm. The better question was who was I doing?"

" You pig!!"

"And your nothing but a lier."

" I haven't lied about anything!" I screamed gripping my fist.

"Well you haven't said the all the truth about what happened to you these last five years." He yelled back.

"Neither have you-you-you JERK!!!!" I yelled.

He opened his mouth but quickly closed it looking away.

"Enough, I think it's time we laid everything out on the table." Kid said in a straight face. "We can talk after this competition.. we can't be late it starts exactly at 8. Agreed." Everyone nodded in response.

"Good, let this tournament begin."