Prologue

Okay so this story is taking place in a slightly alternate timeline where Davey had been a newsie for a couple of years before the strike happened.

Three months before the strike.

"You wanted to talk?" Davey asked, sitting across from his girlfriend at the booth. She nodded sadly. "Ari what's wrong?" He asked.

"I got a job offer," Ari explained. Ari was trying to make it as a reporter. Davey smiled.

"Ari that's great!" he exclaimed. "Wait then why are you upset?"

"Davey," She said, taking his hand. He gave her had a gentle squeeze. "The job offer is in New Mexico." Davey's heart dropped.

"Oh... well are you... do you think you..."

"I already said I'd take the job," she said, a guilty look in her eye. Davey tried to appear happy for her.

"Well still, that's great news! And besides, I'm sure I'll be able to visit sometime or we can write each other or..."

"Davey," She said, cutting him off. "I can't do long distance, I'm sorry, I just can't." Tears started to form in the corners of her eyes.

"I'll come with you!" He suggested.

"Davey, I can't make you do that," she said. A tear started to roll down her cheek. Davey brushed it away.

"Arietta, I would happily move there with you. You wouldn't be making me do anything. As long as I'm with you I'll be happy."

"Davey your family is here! All your friends are here! You can't just up and leave!" Ari tried to talk some sense into him.

"Ari please, I can't lose you. I'll figure something out!" Davey had tears running down his face now too. Luckily the restaurant was so full that no one noticed the couple.

"Davey please don't make this any harder than it already is! I need you to be supportive here, this is a big step for me."

"Ari I love you! How can I be supportive of you just walking out of my life?"

"Because I already have to uproot my entire life and move across the country. I can't have this to worry about too."

"Please Ari..."

"No, Davey."

"I love you, Ari," he all but whispered through the tears.

"Goodbye, David," She said. She stood up and walked out of the restaurant, out of Davey's life. And right there, even though he was in public, Davey Jacobs cried. He cried at the booth until he was kicked out of the restaurant, and thought it possible he wouldn't ever stop crying again.