Three

"Buy a pape from a poor orphan boy?" Les said, adding a cough for extra effect. Davey groaned. He turns his back for one second and his brother is using the same old trick again.

"Les! I told you you shouldn't lie!" He said, turning around to face his brother. He lost his train of thought as he saw a beautiful girl who appeared to be about his age. She had soft brown eyes and curly brown hair. She was the most beautiful girl Davey had ever seen.

"I-I'm sorry," he said nervously, "my brother is still learning about honesty." She chuckled and looked shyly at the ground.

"It's fine. Here, I think I will buy a paper." She fished a penny out of her purse and handed it to Les. Les handed her a paper and smiled.

"Thank you miss! I'm Les by the way. This is my brother Davey!" Davey blushed and held out a hand.

"It's nice to meet you..."

"Ari," She said, shaking his hand.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you, Ari."

»»»

"I'm gonna go out for a while," Katherine said to Ari.

"Oh where to?"

"I'm meeting Jack and some friends for dinner." There was a pause in the conversation.

"Jack told you didn't he?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Jack told you about me and Davey." There was a clear hint of sadness in her voice. Katherine didn't know how to respond.

"How did you know?"

"Well for one thing, in the time I've known you and Jack you don't seem the type to keep secrets from each other," she started. Katherine suppressed a chuckle as she remembered their first few days after meeting. Honesty wasn't exactly their best quality. "It was also because you've been inviting me along with you to everything except when you're with Jack's friends." Katherine sighed.

"I questioned him about how you two knew each other and eventually got it out of him."

"It's okay, Katherine. Davey and I broke up a year ago, you don't have to tiptoe around me." The truth was, a part of her had never fully healed from the break up. But she would never admit that.

"Jack wouldn't tell me details," Katherine admitted, "just that you used to date and that you broke up before I met him." Ari sat down.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything. I mean, I haven't seen Davey with a girl in all the time I've known him." Katherine realized too late that that might not be her information to share.

"Well we knew each other for a year and a half. We had a great relationship, but we had to break up when I moved to New Mexico." Katherine nodded in understanding.

"A year and a half. That's pretty serious." Ari nodded sadly.

"We loved each other. We were in love."

"Jack said he doesn't want you to get in touch with Davey."

"Things ended pretty badly."

"Badly how?"

"We were in love. When that ends you're bound to be torn up about it." Ari said, not telling the full truth.

"But you're back now. What's stopping you from getting back together?"

"There's a lot going on right now. I've been stressed out from the move and the new job, and everything that happened in New Mexico is still in my recent memory." Katherine nodded.

"Well if you ever change your mind, I don't think you should listen to Jack," Katherine said. Ari nodded.

"But right now it's for the best," she said, almost more to herself than to Katherine.

»»»

Davey finally went back home after a long few hours of hanging out with his friends. He was confused for a moment to find an empty house before remembering that his parents and Les were visiting family friends that evening.

Less than five minutes after Davey got home, he heard a knock on the door. Hesitantly he went to open the door. It could be his parents, but why would they knock? They had a key. Still, Davey opened the door. It could be one of the boys or something.

When Davey opened the door he nearly passed out from shock. Standing in front of him was someone he never thought he'd ever get the chance to see again.

"Ari!?"