[1]

Starring intently at the digital clock that sat on The beside table Brooke gave a slight grin. Only one more minute until her alarm would blare that familiar irksome beep. Counting down in her head she leaned forward slightly.

The clock barely had time to perform its job as Brooke's slim hand hit the off button.

Mornings had always been her favorite part of the day. The fresh air, a rising sun, and the feeling of complete bliss when she ran down the stairs to be met with a homemade breakfast.

Smoothing out her bed Brooke tilted her head and took a step back to search for an imperfection.

"You're already dressed?"

Ignoring her father Brooke caught sight of a bump by her pillows, "Aren't I always?" She finally replied smoothing it out gently.

Retying his apron he nodded looking around the room. He had always been a minimalistic and clean man so knowing his daughter kept his beliefs for herself made him happy. "I thought I would switch things up today."

Picking up her backpack Brooke furrowed her brows waiting for him to continue.

"I went a little crazy and added peppers to the eggs." He widened his eyes and smiled seeing her response.

"But it's Thursday."

"I know."

"We have omelets on Monday's."

He shrugged.

"What's gotten into you?"

"I know it's out of the ordinary but I thought it would be fun to mix things up a bit." He reasoned following her down the stairs.

"Mix things up?" Brooke laughed and sat down in her usual seat. "We just moved here four weeks ago and you started a new job. How have things not been mixed up?"

"How have you been copping?" He whispered looking at his fingernails.

She knew he would try to Segway into feelings. They had an amazing relationship but expressing themselves had never been one of their strong suit. "It's great dad. Have a good day." Kissing him on the cheek Brooke finished her meal quickly and took her books off the counter.

Honestly she was always excited to get to school. Learning about new things every single day was so fulfilling to her. being an honor student at such a small school was even better. The first week she started attending the administration was blown away and immediately allowed her to be in the best classes. Even taking a couple extras. With college being only a year away she wanted to have amazing odds in whatever place she wished to go.

The new town they had moved too wasn't the best however in other ways. It was tiny, hot, and really out of the ordinary. Especially to someone who never grew up around West Texas. Everyone knew everyone but no one knew her.

Fortunately a small town means short distances. The school was only a seven minute walk, Eight on Friday's because traffic gets backed up.

Of course "backed up traffic." Only means the buses run a little slower so an average of 20 seconds at each crosswalk is added.

"Did you see it?" A girl yelled leaving her yard and walking along the path.

"Of course I did. I think everyone saw it."

Casey rolled her eyes and stomped her feet as they walked. There was never a moment in the day that her new friend did not have an attitude "My momma is going to kill me when word gets back to her."

Brooke gave a tight smile and looked over to admire her bouncy tight curls. "I'm sure it's not a huge punishment. People go in that closet all the time to-" Brooke paused trying to find the right words.