Note

This is just a summary of Chapter 8 of what Nightmare said.

Steve is the original skin that a player starts with when they begin Minecraft and can come back as many times as the player wants them to. Basically the Steves here can do the same thing, but without the player part. 

However, when they die the time for them to re-spawn varies from days to months to years even; unless brought back by ritual or machine. For example, Sabre brought Light back with a machine several times.

When a Steve dies willingly, they no longer can re-spawn; like Elemental. In Blue and Yellow's case they should not have come back at all and just be a memory, but something or someone gave them an option to connect their souls to another being. The draw back is that they had to connect to someone very young so there won't be any drastic changes; this is where Sabre and Lucas came in.

About bonds, when a Steve bonds with another they gain great strength. Take Positive and Negative, together they were strong, stronger than if they were apart. However, if the one of the bonded dies then then the other will start to lose their sanity. 

Dark has already lost his brother Light, then he lost Blue. It's the 'three strikes and your out' kind of thing so if Dark looses Sabre then he'll go insane. Plague, on the other hand, is safe for now since he just lost Yellow.

Both Dark and Plague have known Sabre and Lucas since they were children so that will explain how the they know the humans' colors.