Chapter 14: Relief

After getting some coffee Joe and I took a stroll around the park. "So what's going on in that little head of yours?", he asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Mark... I just don't understand how he could do something like that after everything..." I bit my lip in frustration.

"You were always too good for him. I mean I've watched your relationship for years and it was devastating.", he chuckled, "Just think about all the things you have done for Mark over the years... and now think about the things he has done for you."

I started to feel a lump in my throat. "Finn...", was all I could get out of my mouth.

Joe stopped in his tracks. "I'm so sorry, Chloe. I totally forgot... Of course, that was a hard time that Mark helped you through but you can't let him hold that against you."

"I know. It's in the past." I tried to shake the feeling off of me.

"Anyway, what are you planning to do about Mrs. Gregory?"

"Nothing. I'll just have to obey until she calms down."

"What? No! I won't let you do that. You know something about her that could ruin her whole career. Chloe, my dear, I can't believe that I'm admitting that but you have the upper hand for once. Use it!" His expression was a bit too excited. I wasn't the kind of person that used other's secrets to my advantage.

"I don't know. It doesn't seem right and the headmaster wouldn't believe me anyway."

"I'm not saying you should tell him about it but you could at least get Mrs. Gregory to be a bit nicer to you. I'm just saying you deserve it..." I couldn't stop a smile from forming on my lips. The idea of her being nicer to me truly sounded great, even though I still wasn't sure if I should go through with it.

Suddenly a voice creeped up behind us, "Really Chloe? Another guy? Have you already had enough of François?"

"Really Mark? Still stalking your ex girlfriend?", Joe asked sarcastically.

"It's fine", I said pulling Joe back a bit. For once, I had to handle things on my own. "What do you want?", I asked turning towards Mark.

"We just broke up a week ago and you've already had one guy and are now hooking up with my friend. Good job, Chloe.", Mark said through gritted teeth.

"First of all, I haven't 'had' any guy - as you like to call it. I just spent some time with François and now Joe was kind enough to help me out when your little affair couldn't keep it together! Second of all, you slept with my freaking teacher while we were together. You really can't tell me what to do anymore! So just shut it and leave us alone!" With that being said I turned around and left Mark standing there, seemingly in shock.

"That was impressive." Joe laughed once we were far enough so that Mark couldn't hear us anymore.

"It felt so good. I don't know how long I've been carrying this around with me." I laughed as well feeling nothing but relief.

"I told you, you should stand up for yourself."

"Thank you, Joe. You really helped me a lot today."

"Anytime!", he said with a wink. And there he was again, the old arrogant, admittedly charming Joe.

-

I crushed onto the couch feeling nothing but pride. Today I had stood up against Mrs. Gregory and Mark and maybe - only maybe - had I made a new friend. Joe truly was a great guy even though he didn't seem to show it very often. It was weird to admit, but I was actually comfortable around him, I could just be myself without worrying about what he might think.

There was only one thing that bothered me. Ever since I came home, I waited for a message. As always I expected him to say something about the new guy in my life, maybe tell me that he is bad for me. But as much as I waited, my phone stayed silent.

This was ridiculous. Why was I even waiting for a message? The less he was bothering me the better, right? Or maybe I wanted him to be jealous. Maybe I wanted him to tell me that I shouldn't spend time with Mark, François or Joe. He had been right about Mark at least...

Over time the curiosity was killing me.

Me: What are you waiting for?

Un: I have no idea what you're talking about.

Me: Why aren't you telling me that Joe is bad for me? That I shouldn't be with him?

Un: Were you waiting for me to do so...?

I felt so embarrassed. He looked right through me but I wouldn't show it to him for sure.

Me: Just answer my question. What's the difference between François and Joe?

Un: Don't you see it? François and Joe are different in every way possible...

Me: What do you mean?

Un: François is an asshole. He doesn't really care about you. All he cares about is getting laid. I know you don't want to hear this but he's just trying to lure you in with his charms.
Joe on the other hand pretends to be an asshole. He doesn't let a lot of people near him and sure, he sleeps with a lot of girls as you know. But he would never hurt someone he truly cares about. And he cares about you, he always has...

I was completely stunned. During all this time I had never thought about François or Joe that way.

Me: What about you?

Un: Why? Are you actually thinking about listening to me?

Me: I don't know... You've been right about Mark.

Un: I do care about you. I care enough to know that I could never be with you...

Me: If you care so much why can't you be with me?

Un: Because you deserve someone better than me

Did I?

Author's Note:
Hey loves, this chapter was somehow really easy to write.

Do you like Joe?
Is Chloe going to listen to him and blackmail her teacher?
Do you think Chloe's stalker is telling the truth about Joe and François?
And why does he think Chloe's too good for him?

If you like this story so far please vote, comment, add it to a reading list or share it with your friends. It would mean a lot to me ♥️